Psychedelic Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Psychedelic Pratten

Post by kkrell »

paddler wrote:I like the smokey one!
Me too. It looks a little like wood grain (slab cut cathedral).
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

I’d buy a garish one. No need to pretend something is an old relic when it isn’t!

Serously, if the flute was a decent instrument and the price wasn’t too silly, then I’d bite yer hand off.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Nice looking! Like them both
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

I like them both. The black & green work very well.

One possibly useful feature; each flute must look totally unique. If it was stolen & you saw it in a pawn shop or posted on eBay you'd recognise it immediately & be able to provide photographic proof it was yours.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

AlanG wrote:I like them both. The black & green work very well.

One possibly useful feature; each flute must look totally unique. If it was stolen & you saw it in a pawn shop or posted on eBay you'd recognise it immediately & be able to provide photographic proof it was yours.
Very true! No two pieces of colored ebonite are exactly alike.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I like the smokey one. Very nice. The green one isn't bad, but my conservative tastes in traditional instruments would steer me to the smokey one. The gray swirl coordinates well with the black background and silver rings.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Both look absolutely fabulous to my eye. The grey is more restrained, but the green is scarcely garish.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

jemtheflute wrote:Both look absolutely fabulous to my eye. The grey is more restrained, but the green is scarcely garish.
Yes, I would call the green "striking" rather than "garish" :-)
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:Both look absolutely fabulous to my eye. The grey is more restrained, but the green is scarcely garish.
When I said I wanted a garish one I was thinking more in line with the first pic at the beginning of the thread. That’s the sort of thing that would make me part with my hard earned spondulicks.
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

bwat wrote:
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:
When I said I wanted a garish one I was thinking more in line with the first pic at the beginning of the thread. That’s the sort of thing that would make me part with my hard earned spondulicks.
Now with that first flute, I'd have to agree that "garish" is the mot juste :-) While the color did grow on me, I can't deny that it gave me a bit of vertigo when I first saw it. Not everyone's cup of tea!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

There's something about the colored ebonite that reminds me of bowling balls from the 50s and 60s abut also old pipes. My dad smoked a pipe and some of them had ebonite stems.

Is there an upcharge for colored ebonite?

I cannot say enough good about my Ellis ebonite Pratten, especially now that I can actually play music on it. I've made a bunch of breakthroughs and can now make actual music on the flute, which is such a free blowing and expressive instrument.

I have a hard time seeing myself explaining to my wife "but look, this one is black and green!"
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

PB+J wrote:There's something about the colored ebonite that reminds me of bowling balls from the 50s and 60s abut also old pipes. My dad smoked a pipe and some of them had ebonite stems.

Is there an upcharge for colored ebonite?

I cannot say enough good about my Ellis ebonite Pratten, especially now that I can actually play music on it. I've made a bunch of breakthroughs and can now make actual music on the flute, which is such a free blowing and expressive instrument.

I have a hard time seeing myself explaining to my wife "but look, this one is black and green!"
I do charge significantly more for the colored ebonite for a couple of reasons. First, it is a lot more expensive than the black ebonite (about twice as much). Second, there is a lot more pressure not to make a mistake! With black ebonite (as with African blackwood), you can mix and match pieces, and if something goes screwy on a section, you can easily replace it with another piece of black ebonite. A flute made from the colored stuff needs to all come from the same piece of ebonite so that it matches, and this means that a mistake is pretty much fatal to the entire flute since there is no hope of an exact match on a replacement piece, and any such error is also very expensive. So the stress level in working with it is quite high and I have to move with greater care. That comes out in the price. And finishing ebonite is much more labor intensive than wood. Takes several times as long, easily.
p.ho.ho
Tell us something.: A Hongkonger, begin the pratten Irish flute in 2018 March.

before that I play basketmaker/anasazi rim-blown flute and Native American style flutes.

I also play a instruments call array mbira(4 octave).
and I have 11 singing bowls.

Ellis Flutes:
keyless pratten Irish Flute
-Candy2 special Ebonite, 5 piece and extra un-slide headjoint
-resin stabilized dyed maple 2 piece
essential Flutes c, d, eb
basketmaker Flutes f#, g, ab, bb
mojave6
bansuri b, g
xiao
shakuhachi

carbony:
high d quite whistle
low c whistle

nasf by ken light, John stillwell

Post by p.ho.ho »

I did see is garish when I open the package :D
but I quickly liked it.

and this week, I think the colors is city flower of Hong Kong :cry: :cry: :cry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhini ... 7_blakeana

unexpected fate....
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Best of luck to Hong Kong!