FLUTES

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

FLUTES

Post by Michael w6 »

Opinions on Gary Somer's and Doug Tipple flutes?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: FLUTES

Post by kkrell »

Both good. Doug's a good value for an inexpensive starter cylindrical flute (with added taper in the headjoint to correct some tuning), and preferred over a straight tube.

There is nothing at all lacking in a Somers flute if you want something suitable for session play, quality craftsmanship, and a lifetime of use. Even if you later acquire expensive fancy modern keyed or keyless or antique flutes for Irish music, the Somers can still have a place in your stable.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pmcallis »

Somers pratten - a big, rich, powerful sound! Great flute and a steal for the price! I second Kevin's comments.
Paul
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

pmcallis wrote:Somers pratten - a big, rich, powerful sound! Great flute and a steal for the price! I second Kevin's comments.
Paul
Except mine's his Rudall model.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

My Somers is a Pratten and it's great! The Tipple flutes are super for cylindrical tubes, but they really aren't in the same class as the Somers flutes. I own both and think the Somers is the best choice unless your funds are extremely limited.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Nothing but praise for both.

I have both and fill a unique niche. I love the Tipple for its virtual indestructibility. I have one that lives either in my back pack of glove box. Intonation is excellent. I can take well into the third octave. I take it everywhere. It's my go-to for travel, camping and the like. Great tone. Easy player.

The quality of the Somers is very good. It's loud. It's robust. It is also indestructible. Intonation is spot on. Easy player. Great all around flute.

Both are a tremendous value. Great bang for the buck.

I've never regretted either purchase.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

Based on the responses here I purchased an aluminum practice flute from Garry. It has excellent tone and is very well made. There is a problem. The Delrin head joint is coated with beeswax and Vaseline (I learned this from Garry) This coating seems to be releasing some airborne particles which leave a rather unpleasant, lingering taste in my mouth. Has anyone else encountered this?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Michael w6 wrote:Based on the responses here I purchased an aluminum practice flute from Garry. It has excellent tone and is very well made. There is a problem. The Delrin head joint is coated with beeswax and Vaseline (I learned this from Garry) This coating seems to be releasing some airborne particles which leave a rather unpleasant, lingering taste in my mouth. Has anyone else encountered this?
Is there any reason why you can't clean it off?
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

@kkrell - Before emailing Garry I did not know there was a coating on the head joint. Garry suggested cleaning it off with isopropyl. My post here was to ask if anyone else has encountered the bad taste. I have found it very noticeable and quite unpleasant.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Michael w6 wrote:@kkrell - Before emailing Garry I did not know there was a coating on the head joint. Garry suggested cleaning it off with isopropyl. My post here was to ask if anyone else has encountered the bad taste. I have found it very noticeable and quite unpleasant.
That mixture is sometimes used as a cork grease, or for loose slides. I have not encountered it as a surface treatment. Might work as a wax for wood flutes, but I don't understand why it's there on his aluminum flute.
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

The coating is on the head joint, which is Delrin. Garry did not give a reason for this but I'll email him and relay his response.
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

Michael w6 wrote:The coating is on the head joint, which is Delrin. Garry did not give a reason for this but I'll email him and relay his response.
As it may be of general interest, I'm not sure what Michael is reacting to on the delrin headjoint of the flute. We've already exchanged emails on this and I gave him some advice yesterday on what to try.

Regarding the finish on the delrin surface of the headjoint, a tiny dab of beeswax/vaseline grease is rubbed on finally to bring up the dark, matte finish on the surface. That could also be done with vaseline on its own.

To date, I've heard of nobody having any kind of allergic reaction to either delrin or the beeswax in the grease finish. The beeswax element of the finish is there because it is dryer than vaseline on its own and helps a little to improve grip.

So, I suggested to Michael that he could clean off the finish with alcohol and see if the plain delrin still causes the reaction and if not, he could then try a dab of (pharmaceutical grade) vaseline without the beeswax to restore the finish. There is also the possibility of some kind of dust having fallen on the surface of the headjoint, or gotten into the bore, which could be washed off.
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Maihcol wrote:Regarding the finish on the delrin surface of the headjoint, a tiny dab of beeswax/vaseline grease is rubbed on finally to bring up the dark, matte finish on the surface. That could also be done with vaseline on its own.
Petroleum Jelly is for external use & probably should not be ingested. It seems that it also traps bacteria. One of the reasons it is not suggested as a personal lubricant.
dangers from some health webpage (edited) wrote: Potential side effects

Allergies: Some people are more sensitive and can develop allergies if they use petroleum-derived products. Always keep an eye out for irritations and adverse reactions when using a new product.

Infections: Not allowing the skin to dry or cleaning the skin properly before applying petroleum jelly can cause fungal or bacterial infections.

Aspiration risks: Check with your doctor before using petroleum jelly around the nose area, especially in children. Inhaling mineral oils may cause aspiration pneumonia.

Clogged pores: Some people may break out when using petroleum jelly.
Do you treat your conical Delrin flutes in the same way? I have one, purchased used, & I didn't notice anything like that, nor had any problem with lip contact or the flute's appearance. Might it be an unnecessary step? From the description, I am assuming that it's intended to provide some highlight/contrast to the texture, to make it "pop" a little.
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

I'm pleased Garry as joined the thread and may speak for himself directly. I have tried the suggestion of cleaning out the inside of the head joint and this seems to have helped a bit. The unpleasant taste seems to have lessened a bit. I suppose the taste is just that, a taste and not an allergic reaction. I'm not getting a rash or irritation typical or allergic reactions. I will try the isopropyl and see if it resolves this problem.
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

kkrell wrote: Do you treat your conical Delrin flutes in the same way? I have one, purchased used, & I didn't notice anything like that, nor had any problem with lip contact or the flute's appearance. Might it be an unnecessary step? From the description, I am assuming that it's intended to provide some highlight/contrast to the texture, to make it "pop" a little.
Yes, that's the same finish on all of my delrin flutes. When delrin is sanded to a smooth matte finish, it will have a dry, greyish appearance. To bring that up to the usual black finish, only requires a very slight amount of oiling. A tiny dab on the tip of a finger goes a long way and the flute can be rubbed dry after.

It is highly unlikely to be the finish that's causing the problem. I would suspect some kind of dust on the surface, or in the bore. Another possibility would be a mould which began to grow during transit. Any smell of mould there, Michael?
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com