Whistle Repair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sharonpynemusic
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played whistle for many years and have heard about your website for almost as many. I teach at Maine fiddle camp. I would love to be Able to find answers or ask questions on your website. Like. where do I get my sindt whistle repaired after it’s been run over

Whistle Repair

Post by Sharonpynemusic »

I have a Sindt C whistle that got flatted a bit Do you know anyone that could fix it??
syn whistles

Re: Whistle Repair

Post by syn whistles »

Tried JS himself?
So good it has to be a SYN!
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

John Sindt himself would be my advice as well. If it is a minor dent and you are half way around the world you could email him and ask if someone who straightens dents out of trumpets or trombones could do the trick. I had to ask him a question about mine a couple of years ago and he was pretty quick to respond.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I've made replacement tubes for damaged Sindts before. They're not exact matches for the original, but still work just fine.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

If it's just the tube you could try sliding a wooden dowel or pvc pipe gently through the whistle to restore the shape
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I think I heard somewhere that a standard Generation D tube works pretty well in the Sindt D...
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

There is even a video on youtube from Mary Bergin playing that "mod"--a Sindt with a Generation body.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

And here Mary Bergin plays that exact mod -- you can see it clearly at the 1:11 mark.
https://youtu.be/LHFwG0nceTQ
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Sedi wrote:And here Mary Bergin plays that exact mod -- you can see it clearly at the 1:11 mark.
To be honest, that doesn't look to me like a Generation label, too large and too square. It looks to me like a piece of red tape or maybe paint used to quickly identify a particular whistle amongst others.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

ecadre wrote:
Sedi wrote:And here Mary Bergin plays that exact mod -- you can see it clearly at the 1:11 mark.
To be honest, that doesn't look to me like a Generation label, too large and too square. It looks to me like a piece of red tape or maybe paint used to quickly identify a particular whistle amongst others.

edited to add:

Had a look at a couple of other videos, and I think this one confirms my suspicions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tXI0muUz4
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Ah, I think you are right. In this video you can see it more clearly.
https://youtu.be/XCNZng2xA2Q
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

There was a similar thread here in 2017.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104601
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's a square of red electrical tape. That Gen tube thing was debunked long ago. See this thread (photos long gone).

See also : Bloomfield's Sindt/Gen hybrid and Sindog that older members will remember and new members have heard semi aware echoes of.

And FWIW, a D Gen tube fitting a D Sindt is not a particularly useful solution to the OP's problem.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Why? It would be a solution to the problem. Part broken -> part replaced -> whistle fixed and taken care of the cross-fingered-C-nat-problem at the same time.
Apart from that I am certain any music shop with a service center that can repair brass instruments or boehm flutes (technically a woodwind) can repair it. I had a Boehm flute were the head joint was loose. They managed to widen the slide a tiny bit and all was good. I guess they can repair it with the same tools they use for such a problem.