JIG!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

JIG!

Post by Michael w6 »

The jig, "Up Ya Boya" Is this some Irish slang? Rude?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: JIG!

Post by Nanohedron »

Copied the topic to the ITM Forum. Might get some input there, too.

An entry in Yahoo! Answers suggests that "its an irish saying basically meaning well done and go on ya good thing".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Michael w6 wrote:The jig, "Up Ya Boya" Is this some Irish slang? Rude?
It's a funny thing, but to me it seems like one of those commonplace phrases that one never thinks about, because you hear it so often, in pubs and stuff.

It means what Nano says. Nothing rude about it. Quite the opposite.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I believe it is also more formally rendered "Up ye boyo."
benhall.1 wrote:It's a funny thing, but to me it seems like one of those commonplace phrases that one never thinks about, because you hear it so often, in pubs and stuff.
Not in Minnesota. :lol:

But if I did hear it, I would have interpreted it in a positive light (and this was my first time). It probably takes a bit of familiarity, though, or at least contact, with Irish vernacularizationismicalities; in Irish parlance, "Up [insert your favorite cause here]" is commonly a cry of support, "up" here being more akin to "elevate". But to be on the safe side, I used another source rather than my intuition on this one. Turns out I'd guessed right.

Chiff & Fipple: Come for the whistles; stay for the patois.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:"Up [insert your favorite cause here]" is commonly a cry of support, "up" here being more akin to "elevate". But to be on the safe side, I used another source rather than my intuition on this one. Turns out I'd guessed right.
Another example is the tune title, “Up Sligo!”
and the still uncomposed, “Up Down!”.
https://youtu.be/RYALg3cxubc
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa