Here's the way I see it.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Here's the way I see it.

Post by rorybbellows »

I see the planet as a big shaggy dog and the human race is an infestation of fleas. So if a dog has a few fleas it probably doesn't even notice and both dog and fleas live in harmony. But then the fleas get into breeding mode and their numbers get totally out of hand .The fleas start to move around a lot more than before and the amount of blood they consume starts to make an impact on the health of the dog.So what does the dog do ? It will scratch and gnaw at its own skin to relieve the irritation.They may also roll in dust or mud to rid itself of the unwanted guests. This is what the earth is doing, condition on this earth will get so bad the the human race will be eliminated and than in time ,(which the planet has plenty of)the earth can get back to the healthy natural condition it was in before Homo sapiens evolved into and infestation of fleas.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
JackJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Re: Here's the way I see it.

Post by JackJ »

I think that's an excellent analogy--thanks for sharing it.

But, if the fleas are aware that their own quality of life, and eventually their very existence, is imperiled by the way they're treating the dog, should they take massive steps to minimize their impact, so that some additional number of future generations can prosper? Or is it futile, since their demise is inevitable, and hey, why shouldn't they live it up while the living is still good?

Of course, having other nearby dogs changes the equation.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

JackJ wrote:But, if the fleas are aware that their own quality of life, and eventually their very existence, is imperiled by the way they're treating the dog, should they take massive steps to minimize their impact, so that some additional number of future generations can prosper? Or is it futile, since their demise is inevitable, and hey, why shouldn't they live it up while the living is still good?
Do you know? Does anyone? I believe we have a serious responsibility not only to our future generations, but to all life, and to our planet. Since we don't know we're totally screwed, we should try, regardless. What's done may be done, but there's no need - or time - to puzzle over it. It's a matter of principle. We need to get cracking, and I'm glad the youth are taking a stand.

The Native American stewardship principle of thinking seven generations ahead is a darned good one.
JackJ wrote:Of course, having other nearby dogs changes the equation.
Unfortunately that option is rather out of reach for the foreseeable future.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas

Post by chas »

I've been homebrewing for almost 30 years. This is the way I see it:

CO2 and alcohol are waste products of the yeast. Any brewer knows that if you put too much fermentable in your wort, the yeast will make so much alcohol that they'll die.

Same thing is true of humans and the earth. If we don't take care, we'll drown in our own filth one way or another.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I think Rory's analogy is a good one. I've long been a firm believer that, in the medium to long term, the planet will be fine; humans won't be, but that's just too bad.
chas

Post by chas »

Just saw this, interesting and humorous at the same time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQVustYV24
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I'd be very negative about our future if it depended on humans changing their habits of consumption and attitudes towards our rites to use this planet anyway we see fit. Apart from population control which is a big factor, I'm hoping that as technology got us into this mess technology will get us out . Better energy technology , waste management and recycling and some way of cleaning up the damage that has already been done.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Since we're so addicted to plastics, I'd think it was more than high time that truly biodegradable plastics - a technology we have - became the norm. It would at least give us the breathing space to clean up the rest.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Since we're so addicted to plastics, I'd think it was more than high time that truly biodegradable plastics - a technology we have - became the norm. It would at least give us the breathing space to clean up the rest.
A complete ban on single use plastics would be perfectly possible, and a very good thing. We no longer use clingfilm at all in our house.