Flageolet!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: Flageolet!

Post by an seanduine »

I use a pipestem made of amber colored plastic, sold as a replacement stem for a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe. The end of the stem measures 7.6 mm. so requires only a very small amount of 'fitting'. The additional bonus is that the stem will accept a six mm pipe filter, similar to those by Dr. Grabow or Medico, or the Italian balsa wood inserts. These help to control the condensation that inevitably occurs.
Some flagelots, historically, had a chamber in the top bulb to house a wad of woolen batting to absorb this moisture.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sequimite
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

Re: Flageolet!

Post by Sequimite »

whistlecollector, I'm afraid my meager experience leaves me uncertain. It's not green or even greenish and there are two hairline cracks. On the other hand it looks like shiny plastic, the uniform blackness and lack of discernible grain made me think it was synthetic and it's warm to the touch like wood or ebonite. If ebony it certainly shows the fall off in quality of wood over the last century as it is finer and more uniform than the ebony fingerboards on my fretted instruments. My blackwood flute from 1897 has obvious grain and slightly uneven color.

Bob, my pipestems have the filter compartment as well but I never thought to put in a filter. I'll try it. I'm collecting pipestems with different sized openings, and may alter a few for even more air capacity so that I can experiment with what works best for me. That's a potentially big advantage over the ivory beak.