Inspiration

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Inspiration

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron wrote:"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." - Confucius (if he ever really said it)

Well? Mario? Confucius? Which one is it?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

No matter what your status in life was, rich or poor, famous or common folk, well educated or street wise, when you die they dig the same size hole for everyone. (my dad)

My father was a linotype operator for a newspaper his working life and drove a hearse during his retirement years. He used to come home from the funerals with some "real" comments.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

ytliek wrote:No matter what your status in life was, rich or poor, famous or common folk, well educated or street wise, when you die they dig the same size hole for everyone. (my dad)
Maybe the hole is the same, but the memorial plaques rarely are
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

DrPhill wrote:
ytliek wrote:No matter what your status in life was, rich or poor, famous or common folk, well educated or street wise, when you die they dig the same size hole for everyone. (my dad)
Maybe the hole is the same, but the memorial plaques rarely are
:thumbsup:
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Or not.

Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

[Thread revival! - Mod]

A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I like that. :)

"Respect your haters. They are the ones who think you're better than them."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

What does the note from the moderator on my post refer to?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:What does the note from the moderator on my post refer to?
Oh, it's just something we do when someone posts to a thread that has been dormant for about a year-ish or more. Although Pub activity has dropped - it used to be pretty wild back in the day - C&F as a whole has always been a fairly active site, and that's why the practice began; we wanted it to be clear that the topic was a revived one, and we've never seen reason to drop the custom; it's detail that may be helpful to the reader. Of course we might miss one or two, and I don't recall when we started doing it, but it's been a good number of years, now. It's a bit of a judgment call, but 10 months falls just within the subjective standard. 6 months is pushing it, and we probably wouldn't bother. A revival after two or three years is not unusual, but I seem to recall even a nine-year revival, and that would be one for the books. The practice of tagging thread revivals probably has more relevance in other C&F forums and topics, but after some thought about this thread I decided it was best to be consistent; the exclamation point is nonstandard practice, and was an attempt to be lighthearted. I suppose that depending on one's activities here over the course of three years - taking yourself as an example - it's possible that one might never have encountered a thread revival notice before, in which case the exclamation point might seem alarming; if so, my apologies, for that was not the intent. That's all; nothing special otherwise. :)
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

Ah! What was alarming is the red. As we all know from our school days red is bad, bad, bad!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:Ah! What was alarming is the red. As we all know from our school days red is bad, bad, bad!
Ah, I just can't win today. Red is the color of official Admin business here at C&F. Accordingly, we ask Chiffers to avoid the use of red, or at least greatly limit its use lest there be reader confusion. Mods don't always use red, but when we do, it is either to emphasize the importance of the statement or, in the case of thread revivals or other uncommon instances, strictly to let the reader know without a doubt that the tag is simply a mod-inserted addendum, and not part of the post's message. If you're going to make your own note of your having revived a thread - and some do - we ask that you do it in black, because it's your message, and consequently part of your own post content.
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

I'm reminded of something I read, I forget the source, asking grade school teachers to stop marking incorrect answers with red. The idea was students associate red with being incorrect, which they are, and it hurts their feelings. Hahahahahaha! Would the teachers use purple, green or any other color the same association would be the case. Let's all have a group hug now.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:I'm reminded of something I read, I forget the source, asking grade school teachers to stop marking incorrect answers with red. The idea was students associate red with being incorrect, which they are, and it hurts their feelings. Hahahahahaha! Would the teachers use purple, green or any other color the same association would be the case. Let's all have a group hug now.
I can't use purple. It makes me look sallow.

No, mod use of red here has nothing at all to do with admonishment. It has only to do with being expressly official - announcements, usually - and nothing more. Think of it as something like putting on a special hat for the occasion.

Image (← not me)

In all honesty, whenever I have to caution members in public - which is thankfully rare - that's interaction, so I do it in basic black.

When I cross-posted your JIG! thread to the ITM Forum, I added a little note to it in red saying as much; it lets people know a mod was fiddling around. Don't be alarmed. :wink:
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

Pastafari?