FS: Michael Egan 3/4 set circa 1840

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PrestonHowardWilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish music for about 25 years and Uilleann Pipes for almost 20. I would like to engage with the piping community in this forum.

FS: Michael Egan 3/4 set circa 1840

Post by PrestonHowardWilde »

A set of pipes by Michael Egan circa 1840’s. Chanter (14 1/2”), tenor and baritone regulators, and tenor drone slider by M. Egan—Boxwood, brass ferrules, ivory mounts. Baritone and bass drones by unknown 19th century maker (after consulting with Brad Angus, Ronan Browne, and Geoff Wooff it is suspected that these two drones may have been made by Denis Harrington of Cork. Certainly the craftsmanship, tone quality, and stye are indicative of Harrington)—painted rosewood, brass ferrules, ox bone mounts. Bellows of unknown 19th century manufacture. The blowpipe is suspected to be original.

This set was purchased as a gift to the current owner’s father in the mid 20th century. After the father’s death the set was sent to David Quinn in 1979 to be evaluated and repaired. Included with the set are several pages of Quinn’s correspondences detailing his opinions on the set, the repair work performed, and an estimation of the set’s value at the time.

This set is playable and the tone is absolutely gorgeous. It seems that it didn’t get played very much at all during its long life as indicated by the nearly flawless condition of the chanter and regulators. The baritone and bass drone sliders do have considerable cracking under the ferrules and a few points of superficial damage to bone mounts. The cracking does seem to affect the behavior of the drones, but with a steady and mindful left elbow they seem to perform just fine.

I personally would recommend having the bass and baritone drone sliders repaired at some point as well as commissioning a new hollow stock and bag to push this set up to the next level, however this set is functional as is and quite lovely to listen to.

Please direct your serious offers to my email address: prestonhowardwilde@gmail.com

audio: https://soundcloud.com/preston-ohiomhai ... set-c-1840

video:https://youtu.be/UEmy3YdWXnY

Last edited by PrestonHowardWilde on Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: FS: Michael Egan 3/4 set circa 1840

Post by PJ »

Gorgeous. What pitch is it happiest in?
PJ
PrestonHowardWilde
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish music for about 25 years and Uilleann Pipes for almost 20. I would like to engage with the piping community in this forum.

it's playing close to C#, A-420 ish.
PrestonHowardWilde

Sale is pending