It's happened again ...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

It's happened again ...

Post by PJ »

I make a reed, try it, it's not great, but maybe ... I put it in a box, on a shelf in a corner and let it sit a few years. Then one day, mildly unsatisfied with my current reed, I go sifting through the boxes on the shelf, and bingo, one of them just sings.

My B chanter reed has been off lately. Octaves not balanced, etc. So I got to stack of boxes, find one which is just a joy to play. Balanced tuning, medium pressure, nice hard D and E, almost perfect. Just the back D is a little sharp but nothing a little tape can't solve.

I'd been discouraged by the B chanter recently and was playing it less and less. Since popping in the new reed, I've played it almost 2 hours. :)
PJ
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Re: It's happened again ...

Post by Seamie »

See PeeJ.......Easy-peasy, right? (s)

.....and ps: thanks for your pm: re that chanter I was mucking around with. Appreciate it/ Cheers mate
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Ah, the mystery and romance of reeds :D Great to hear, PJ. Really, though, you should try North Coast Cedar.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

That’s great, Patrick. Congratulations!