Where do you rate particular whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Where do you rate particular whistles

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sedi wrote:
Can you explain what you don't like about them, Richard? Especially since I think we both have very similar taste in whistles and how we want them to perform.

I only tried the whistles, since I don't play any of the other instruments they sell.
For sure I need to guard against committing the fallacy of painting all their products with the same brush, unfairly.

I'm originally a Highland piper (since 1975) and I'm active in the Highland pipe world both in person and on online forums. When Carbony Highland pipes came out there was universal disdain from our community. It was as if somebody was making Highland pipes who had no familiarity with the instrument or how it was supposed to sound and function.

I've been playing uilleann pipes since 1977 and when I tried Carbony uilleann pipes it was the same story. Ditto their Gaita Gallega (I played a fine Spanish-made Gaita for many years, and I know how Gaitas are supposed to work).

I played Irish flute for over 30 years. I've played vast numbers of fine 19th century London-made originals and new Irish flutes by many makers. I know what good Irish flutes play like and what mediocre Irish flutes play like and the Carbony flutes were in the latter class.

It was the same with their Low Whistles. I've played Low Ds from a large number of makers over the years and to me the Carbony Low whistles weren't serious instruments, with an overall feeble sound, well below the sound from the all-plastic Dixon Low D, and miles below the sound of Low Ds that I would consider serious professional instruments.

As for my criteria for whistles, as I mentioned above it comes down to "sweet easy high notes, quick response, full low notes, and great tuning." Though I would add, for Low Whistles, great air-efficiency and good ergonomics.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

pancelticpiper wrote:

As for my criteria for whistles, as I mentioned above it comes down to "sweet easy high notes, quick response, full low notes, and great tuning." Though I would add, for Low Whistles, great air-efficiency and good ergonomics.
If you get the chance, I hope you'll try (or try again) recent editions of Carbony alto and soprano whistles, as I think they embody what you value extremely well. I don't play any of the other instruments they make, not even low whistles, so I have no opinion on anything else in their product line. (Ok, that's not 100% true, as I'm starting on flute and tried a Carbony keyless, but neither me nor its owner were taken with it. However, I don't have enough experience to judge any flute.) But I've tried four of five of their higher pitched whistles and thought they were all outstanding. They don't represent the best value in the whistle world, but as funds become available, I'm looking forward to getting a couple more in different keys.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

@Richard

Thanks for elaborating. I agree with you on the low whistles. I also don't like them very much. I think the high Ds are excellent though and really shine. But that is common with a few makers, I think -- not all can make great whistles in every key. For example, I like Dixon high whistles more than their alto and low range. I prefer Chieftain low whistles over the higher keys. I love the low D Qwistle more than the high D (even though it is also nice but not as awe-inducing as the low D). Unfortunately so far I never tried a Goldie as he seems to be capable of delivering perfection in any key. But a Goldie high D is high up on my wish list. Maybe next year for my b'day.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm not much of a high whistle player and honestly I can't recall trying their high whistles. I've always tried their Low Ds.

And I realise that many makers are constantly tinkering with their designs. I'm trying to recall when it was that I last spent time at a Carbony booth at a festival, it was probably three years ago, at the Loch Norman Highland Games (North Carolina). If they've changed their design since then, it naturally invalidates my opinion.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle