Uillean Sheet Music Books/Collections

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
thePhotopiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a piper of 15 years. ~10 were Scottish, ~5 Irish. I currently run the Irish Pipers club in Seattle. I'm a regular at most of the local sessions, and run a beginners session at a local music school.

Uillean Sheet Music Books/Collections

Post by thePhotopiper »

Hi folks.

I'm wondering if there are any books out there with music actually written for the uilleann pipes. As in they have the various grace notes and ornamentations marked. I'm well aware of thesession.org, but as I am brand new to learning the pipes, seeing the music clearly written as I'm intended to play it is very helpful.

I've found a few random pieces of music online, and the site uilleannpipe.com (which I'm finding extremely helpful)... but I'd really prefer some actual books. I really love having music books in my library.

Also, I do mean music collections, not tutorial books. I have the HJ Clarke tutor, and it's great, with everything written out very clearly. So yeah, more like that!

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Uillean Sheet Music Books/Collections

Post by Pipewort »

There are two extremes that come to mind.

The Dance Music of Seamus Ennis. by Pay Mitchell

and

Music from The Piper's Choice. By Joe Doyle

Both published by NPU ( www.pipers.ie).

There are others too, of course, but of those, more difficult to get hold of as they are some distance from publication, or have unique tabulation of decorations used, making it more difficult to learn from.

You could create your own, transcribing favourite recordings, especially if you can read music. With that, you have the tunes you WANT to learn, and before you know it, you have a book to publish.

Of the two above, the first outlines the basic tune - with simple represented ornamentation, and then in detail gives every rest; stop; triplet; swell and variation, including regulator chords played. Not cheap.. but might suite. Its shortfall is that not all recordings are freely available.

Joe Doyle's is new, is from recordings of the past, or from his teaching to any number of learners at NPU classes. As a starter invaluable if you want to begin to learn the art of variation from the dots. Well set out, and easy to interpret... so long as you have some appreciation of how pipes are played; viz a viz open/ /tight and staccato playing 'lifts' a tune, from the dots.

hope that helps.
thePhotopiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a piper of 15 years. ~10 were Scottish, ~5 Irish. I currently run the Irish Pipers club in Seattle. I'm a regular at most of the local sessions, and run a beginners session at a local music school.

Re: Uillean Sheet Music Books/Collections

Post by thePhotopiper »

Very helpful!
Pipewort wrote: You could create your own, transcribing favourite recordings, especially if you can read music. With that, you have the tunes you WANT to learn, and before you know it, you have a book to publish.
This is essentially what I'm doing now with a few tunes. However, my instructor has informed me there is some heated debate as to which ornaments should be played on which notes and in which ways... so I'd hate to "offend" anyone by writing down the wrong gracenote ;)

But yeah, having actual music books is such a nice thing. I have a decent collection of Scottish piping books as well, so it will be great to add uilleann piping to them.