It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Please see forum announcement for description and rules!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:36 pm 

I'm thinking of buying custom earplugs like this because I have hyperacusis and I still love going to events and concerts. I just peeked at their website and they are pretty expensive. I just don't want to wear foamies because they always irritate my ears. Any recommendation from you guys?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:06 pm 

When I worked nights, I used the foam ones a lot for sleeping in the daytime. Then I discovered wax ones, obtainable at the pharmacy. Don't know how well musical frequencies will be perceived, but they cut down a lot on the noise. Something like this.

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:37 pm 

If you are looking for something cheaper than custom earplugs, take a look at Etymotic ER20xs plugs. A very flat response - no particular frequencies are filtered more unlike common foam earplugs. The older ER20 version is still around and cheaper, but that version seems to block the higher frequencies a bit more. Of course, that could be an advantage in some cases. I find them comfortable for a few hours at a time.

Other companies such as Alpine seem to have similar designs, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:12 pm 

I've recently taken to wearing silicone earplugs with filter installed in the center. They go for various goofy names such as Eargasms or Hereos on Amazon, but they have helped me in loud settings. They are much better than the foam ones as they still let you have a conversation, but cut out certain frequencies. I am sure custom made pro jobs would be better, but at somewhere around $30 I have found these useful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 pm 

I've been using silicone plugs from EarPeace for a couple of years and been happy. They have three levels of filters you can insert to increase sound blockage. They are $25-30 a pair at Amazon and come in an aluminum keychain cannister with one spare plug.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 am 

I've been using Etymotic or something similar off of Amazon for at least once a week for years. Since using them I haven't had the post-music ringing, so they must be working well enough. There are a ton of shapes and sizes, and it might take trying a few to find one that works for you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 pm 

Just looked at Big Ear, the brand you linked and their products are pretty good. I also saw that Michigan State University's marching band use their earplugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inYEkdIY9VY
Will give them a call later to ask how to order.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:46 am 

I've used the Radians self molded plugs for blacksmithing. They don't cost much, work great and are custom molded to your ears. https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-C ... B003A28P4I

Pro tips: You can mold them with inserted cords so a set stays together. Also if you have a set of in-ear audio plugs that take the conventional inserts that never fit well, you can remove the existing inserts and replace them with this material. Just mold around the earplug body, then remove and drill a small hole to connect.

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:48 pm 

I got the "Alpine pro" musician's earplugs. They have different inserts for more or less dB. Also rather comfy to wear.