What does one use an F flute for?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What does one use an F flute for?

Post by tstermitz »

I imagine it would be nice for playing many Dm tunes also.
Do you think so?

First, are you thinking of D-dorian or D-minor?

D-Dorian really benefits from the C bell-note. F-natural or D-minor also make use of C.

Three options:

(1) C-flute could be a good choice... which is what a whistle player would reach for.
(2) F-flute, you would be typically be playing a G scale fingering (A-dorian or E-minor), which is fine.
(3) D-flute with C-foot. To play in D-dorian, F-major or D-minor on a D-flute, you need a C-foot and some practice with the F-nat and Bb keys.

I keep coming across really beautiful tunes in D-minor, D-dorian and F.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I don't think anyone has yet said because of the size & tone.

(I would also say, because it's lighter - but mine is actually heavier than my 'D's). :wink:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
EzMan
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.
I play silver and timber flute whistles and bass trombone

Post by EzMan »

tstermitz wrote:
I imagine it would be nice for playing many Dm tunes also.
Do you think so?

First, are you thinking of D-dorian or D-minor?

D-Dorian really benefits from the C bell-note. F-natural or D-minor also make use of C.

Three options:

(1) C-flute could be a good choice... which is what a whistle player would reach for.
(2) F-flute, you would be typically be playing a G scale fingering (A-dorian or E-minor), which is fine.
(3) D-flute with C-foot. To play in D-dorian, F-major or D-minor on a D-flute, you need a C-foot and some practice with the F-nat and Bb keys.

I keep coming across really beautiful tunes in D-minor, D-dorian and F.
Ah yes sry.. I do not have an F flute, but I suppose if I did I would play tunes in F and Bb on it.. As I do with my F whistle..
An F flute would be pretty nice.
EZ
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Any one selling an F flute
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

ANY ONE SELLING AN F FLUTE let me know thanks
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

just got a Millyard F , oh what a lovely little thing this is , F is a wonderful lively key,
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Also good for playing this:
https://youtu.be/MW18di2WhL4
I currently practice the 2nd tune in this set (The laurel tree). I like the F flute for its response. I made a simple keyless version myself from aluminium pipe. Rather large diameter, set the plug a little closer to the embouchure hole and it plays nicely in tune. I also use it for playing "Air on the G string" by Bach in C together with my wife on accordion. Recquires some half-holing which works great on the F flute as opposed to the low D. Even a F# in the 2nd octave with half-holing is no problem. And of course it's easier to play when it comes to fingering. I think it is a nice key.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

i have mostly played tin whistle, used to be be into years ago, faded and now coming back, along with it i am doing the flute, been practicing the "monaghan jig" i play by ear, though ABC is really easy, i have a tune someone played years ago and i am copying his style with a slow downer program, Shannen heaton plays a sweet "dear irish boy" on Eb , i transposed it to F sounds great
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Sedi wrote:Also good for playing this:
https://youtu.be/MW18di2WhL4
I currently practice the 2nd tune in this set (The laurel tree). I like the F flute for its response. I made a simple keyless version myself from aluminium pipe. Rather large diameter, set the plug a little closer to the embouchure hole and it plays nicely in tune. I also use it for playing "Air on the G string" by Bach in C together with my wife on accordion. Recquires some half-holing which works great on the F flute as opposed to the low D. Even a F# in the 2nd octave with half-holing is no problem. And of course it's easier to play when it comes to fingering. I think it is a nice key.
Finnegan is fast a heck, , think he is wearing a wig :D
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I also thought it was a hair piece. But it's shaved in the back so it might actually be real :o.