What Keys of Whistles do you have (low and high)?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What Keys of Whistles do you have (low and high)?

Post by kenny »

"D" - for sessions. playing along with recordings in "concert pitch", performance.
"Eb" - playing along with recordings of Scottish Highland bagpipes - also solo performance.
"C" - for tunes in certain keys, also song accompaniment.
"A" - a few tunes, mainly song accompaniment just recently.

I don't play "low" whistles".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

seanpmoran wrote: I really do have an Ab McManus and a G# McManus.
Enharmonic?

As it happens I have a D whistle and a C## whistle :o
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Brus

Post by Brus »

Many high Ds and Cs.

A Generation high Bb

A Susato high Eb

A Susato low D

A Susato low F
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

High - E, Eb, D, Db, C, B, Bb, A.

Low - G, F, E, Eb, D, Db, C.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
whit36
Tell us something.: I have been playing Irish Traditional Music for about 30 years. I play whistles and simple system wooden flutes. My favorites are my Copeland D and my O’Riordan C/D Set. I play Ralph Sweet (RIP) flutes and have his rosewoods in D and F. I recently had Dave Copley make me a Blackwood in D which is rewarding me as I become a stronger flute player. I also purchased an Mezzo A whistle in brass from Ronaldo Reyburn and hope to continue working toward a low D. I play in a weekly session at a pub in a nearby town. I have visited your forum frequently as a guest. I enjoy the comments from your members for both my instruments. I am also always on the lookout for good used ones. Thanks for considering my application.

Post by whit36 »

I have mostly high D. Recently purchased one with both B-flat and A tubes. I like their sound on slow reels. They are also less forgiving on the ornaments - great for keeping sharp when I begin to get sloppy at speed on the Ds. I play some hornpipes on my old Generation F. My mom loves these tunes and thinks they sound like the old music boxes. Try Enda Seery’s Dairy Hornpipe on yours Fs.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

whit36 wrote:I play some hornpipes on my old Generation F. My mom loves these tunes and thinks they sound like the old music boxes. Try Enda Seery’s Dairy Hornpipe on yours Fs.
I had a Generation F and it was the sweetest-sounding thing all around, even in the 2nd octave. I agree that it just seems meant for hornpipes in particular. Gives 'em a whole new dimension.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Huhupat
Tell us something.: i've been making flutes for over twenty years, playing with friends and neighbors who help me tune my instruments and encourage me to share my art with the world. I carve bamboo flutes using concentrated sunlight and 3D-print whistle mouthpieces down to 42" contrabasses, as well as one-handed double tabor pipes.

Post by Huhupat »

I use a high D, and a BASS D (two octaves down, 3d printed head over a PVC tube) for sessions. Got a Generation high G and a high D together taped across the top 3 holes to play harmonies in G. Once I get the design right I’ll make a double head that links the two and covers the high 3 holes on each. Then I’ll have a one-handed double tabor pipe.
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

pancelticpiper wrote:
seanpmoran wrote: I really do have an Ab McManus and a G# McManus.
Enharmonic?

As it happens I have a D whistle and a C## whistle :o
No, really.

I have an Ab McManus whistle in Mopane

I also have a G# McManus in African Blackwood.

Both are superb instruments. One is a back-up for the other and allows me to give each one a rest from time to time.

Warm regards,

Seán.

PS I'm off to Belfast at the weekend, to visit an old friend in hospital. While I'm there, I'll also try to see Roy McManus in his workshop. That has its dangers though -- it will be hard to leave without acquiring another McManus instrument (perhaps a Db to go with my C#) :D
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I did a little video where I play all the whistles in my roll, in case anybody wants to hear them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkI77qb3gZI

And a still photo of the roll

And here's a closeup of my modified Generation Bb head, the Bb whistle I play on that video. You can see how much the windway is shortened.

Last edited by pancelticpiper on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Nice to hear your collection, Richard, especially the low ones, thanks. :thumbsup:

Maybe, if I had long arms, I'd try a bass whistle, but I have enough problems reaching my low Ds. ;)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

fatmac wrote:Nice to hear your collection, Richard, especially the low ones, thanks. :thumbsup:

Maybe, if I had long arms, I'd try a bass whistle, but I have enough problems reaching my low Ds. ;)
You're welcome!

Susato was making Low Ds and Low Cs with the angled necks and they were very comfortable and ergonomic. Angled necks are common in the Recorder world, and recurved necks are standard in the Boehm flute world.

I wonder why the makers of big whistles (Goldie and Alba for example) don't offer the angled necks.

Here, a lineup of Low Ds, the top is a Susato with angled neck. It's amazing how much difference it makes- playing that Low D was like playing an F whistle.

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Hmm, if the bass whistle makers made them with angled necks, that might interest me, & quite likely a few more people too.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I have way more whistles than I can remember. I've got some beauties - my prize possession being a sterling silver, low D Copeland that I bought from a forum member some years ago. It's beautiful. I don't take it out much, as it is in pristine condition, but I play it a reasonable amount around the house.

I also really like my bass A Alba whistle. I've been thinking of getting some more Alba whistles. The one I have is gorgeous, and I don't normally like aluminium whistles.

High whistles - lots of Ds, the best being my brass and my nickel Killarney whistles, several Cs, a couple of Ebs, Bbs, an F and a really tiny Generation high G plus quite a few more. The Reyburn high D/C set I have used to be my favourite, until supplanted in my affections by the Killarneys, and the Reyburn Bb is one of the best whistles I have.

Low whistles - Copeland sterling silver low D, Reyburn maple head low D with inline holes (I can't abide offset holes), Impempe low D, Alba bass A.
Huhupat
Tell us something.: i've been making flutes for over twenty years, playing with friends and neighbors who help me tune my instruments and encourage me to share my art with the world. I carve bamboo flutes using concentrated sunlight and 3D-print whistle mouthpieces down to 42" contrabasses, as well as one-handed double tabor pipes.

Post by Huhupat »

I have a G bass whistle with the same range as a contralto flute, 3 octaves below lowest g on a soprano D whistle. That one has a 180deg bend but the mouthpiece needs to be angled better.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

Mostly playing on D but in my collection: Bb, C, G, F and a few odd keys, two Arab scale, properly Hijaz I think. The Bb is a favorite, mellow mid range pitch. Just tonight I bought a Low C from Goldfinch. This will be interesting.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.