Ó Riada, Our Musical Heritage

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Ó Riada, Our Musical Heritage

Post by PB+J »

Would anyone know where I might find a copy of this book? The only extant copies I can find from booksellers are over $100 US, and no local libraries seem to have it.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Ó Riada, Our Musical Heritage

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's worth scouring the second hand bookshops and places like that. Do what O'Neill did, put in a standing order with the bookdealers. :D

I have a copy here. Got it at Ennistymon bookfair a few years ago for a tenner.
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It's worth scouring the second hand bookshops and places like that. Do what O'Neill did, put in a standing order with the bookdealers. :D

I have a copy here. Got it at Ennistymon bookfair a few years ago for a tenner.

Maybe in ireland--not here in the US, I'm thinking. It's not in the lIbrary of Congress, or the Catholic University of America library, or the Georgetown Library, or Boston College or Notre Dame. Suggests it never got over to this side of the atlantic.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Suggests it never got over to this side of the atlantic.
It probably did but the libraries weren't interested, it was a little booklet that accompanied a set of lps and cost £5.95. Not the stuff academic librares would jump at. Amazon lists copies in the US although, as you note, at a price.
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

Actually, there are a good number of North American academic libraries that own copies. Not sure where you're located, but the first three libraries you mention suggest possibly the DC area, in which case you might be able to access the book at American University. Loyola Notre Dame in Baltimore should have one, and Notre Dame out here in Indiana apparently has two.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/our-musical-heritage/oclc/10014848

Your local public library can probably get you one of these through interlibrary loan, but note there are 6 or 7 different editions. They may all be substantively the same---hard to tell.
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

JackJ wrote:Actually, there are a good number of North American academic libraries that own copies. Not sure where you're located, but the first three libraries you mention suggest possibly the DC area, in which case you might be able to access the book at American University. Loyola Notre Dame in Baltimore should have one, and Notre Dame out here in Indiana apparently has two.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/our-musical-heritage/oclc/10014848

Your local public library can probably get you one of these through interlibrary loan, but note there are 6 or 7 different editions. They may all be substantively the same---hard to tell.

very odd--I checked worldcat very thoroughly this morning, and none of those came up. Checked by author, with various spellings and by title. Thank you!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If anyone is into that sort of thing: the accompanying recordings, either cassette and lp, do come up on ebay more or less regularly. There's one volume up now : here

My brain hurts

daveboling

Post by daveboling »

[quote="Mr.Gumby"]If anyone is into that sort of thing: the accompanying recordings, either cassette and lp, do come up on ebay more or less regularly. There's one volume up now : here

Interesting that the seller says: "Free world postage."
But here's where they will, and will not post to:

Postage to: Europe, Australia, New Zealand
Excludes: Scilly Isles, Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Middle East, North America, South East Asia, South America, Russian Federation, Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, PO Box.

Small world.
I guess they're still a bit put off about the American War of Independance... :P

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Tor

Post by Tor »

I once saw an ebay listing with 'shipping worldwide' (not even free), but the list of excluded countries covered nearly every country in the world. It would have been much simpler to state 'shipping to <A> and <B> only'