Best Flutes in Delrin or other Polymer

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
thomasaasen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Best Flutes in Delrin or other Polymer

Post by thomasaasen »

dyersituations wrote:
thomasaasen wrote:Other recommendations are "Galeòn Delrin Pratten", " Des Seery" and maybe "McGee Grey Larsen Preferred"?
Any advice and recommendations/suggestions are very welcome, thankyou. :)
The typical recommendations I see around here include: Copley, Forbes, Somers, and Shannon. Other names I've read good comments about are: Thompson and Vincenzo Di Mauro. Then there are some makers who also provide Delrin, though the pricing understandable matches their wood flutes (so a little more expensive than the others I've already listed): Paddy Ward, McGee, etc. I've also had an M&E, which was a decent flute at a good price as well. Lots of great options for polymer flutes these days, depending on what style of flute you have in mind.
Thankyou so much. Yes, there's many to choose from and hard to pick one out. I was thinking of a Thompson and VDM, but now I just got an mail from David Copley.
I think I'll go for his and Marlene's flute. I mostly play Irish and folk music, sometimes jazz and other styles for fun. I also play for myself or solo. So I'm thinking about getting an flute in E flat, as Copley also makes. I think I will go for keyless, but I've also thought about two keys.
Anyway, any thoughts about getting an E flat flute as your first? I have small hands, square amd short fingers.
I'm planning to get a D flute from Olwell, keyless. In fact, I will, it's a must for me. So therefore I was thinking about a Delrin and E flat flute.
Cheers from Norway
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

thomasaasen wrote:Anyway, any thoughts about getting an E flat flute as your first?
While I've never played an Eb flute, I see nothing wrong with having one. The only problem is if you want to take it to a session or play with others, you'll be out of luck. It seems like some flute players enjoy Eb, but it's mostly for solo play. I'm in a band with singers, and we have yet to play a song where I needed an Eb. You'd really be fine with any key, as long as it fits your purpose.

EDIT: Something else to consider, if the D flute is uncomfortable, is that many makers can provide offset holes.
Life is good.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

thomasaasen wrote:I mostly play Irish and folk music, sometimes jazz and other styles for fun. I also play for myself or solo. So I'm thinking about getting an flute in E flat, as Copley also makes. I think I will go for keyless, but I've also thought about two keys.
Anyway, any thoughts about getting an E flat flute as your first? I have small hands, square amd short fingers.
There are two main drawbacks to an Eb flute as your first one. The ability to play in common session keys with others was mentioned above, but I guess that doesn't matter if you always plan to play solo at home. The other big drawback is that you won't be in sync with the vast majority of recordings of Irish flute or related styles like Breton flute music on D flutes. Learning by careful listening to recordings by master flute players is critical to learning how to play well, I think.

If you get a D flute you can play along to recordings, slow them down if necessary, and have a memory of what you've just heard when you practice a tune. It's technically possible to alter the key of an audio file, shifting it up a half-step so you can play along with an Eb flute. But it introduces artifacts and it would be a huge amount of work to shift the number of tunes you'd want to listen to while learning to play well.

Several flute makers have "ergonomic" hole patterns for small-handed players, like Casey Burns offers with his Folk Flute, a good wooden flute to begin with, while waiting on that Olwell.
thomasaasen

Post by thomasaasen »

Yes, after thinking it through what you both said about the Eb(dyersituations & conical bore), I've come to the conclusion to get an D. So now, if I can't get my hands on an Olwell, I'm seriously thinking of David Copley and now, Casey Burns Folk Flute. I really like that you can get it for small hands and also in "balanced" or off-line grip/holes. And I also like the idea as more you play it in, better it sounds.:)
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

thomasaasen wrote:Casey Burns Folk Flute.
Casey Burns makes an excellent flute. My current flute is one of his standard models. There are also other makers who make "ergonomic" models, so definitely ask around if there are other makers who interest you.
Life is good.
thomasaasen

Post by thomasaasen »

dyersituations wrote:
thomasaasen wrote:Casey Burns Folk Flute.
Casey Burns makes an excellent flute. My current flute is one of his standard models. There are also other makers who make "ergonomic" models, so definitely ask around if there are other makers who interest you.
I just got an answer from Olwell, and that he/they would get back to me regarding a place on the waiting list. Hopefully it won't be to much over a year. If so, I think I will pass on the others, since I don't have to much money to spend. But, I really wish I had the chance to try ALL the flutes mentioned. That would have been fantastic. I'm very interested in both Copley and Burns flutes. I have a feeling that they both are easy to play and easy to fall in love with. But since I've heard that the Olwell flute is one of the best flutes on the marked today, and it's so easy and forgiving to play, I feel that I can't pass this chance. It's not easy when you're the only one that plays whistles and now flute where you're living. And don't know anyone who does either, on a personal level that is. So I'm very grateful for the chiffandfipple community. Thanks everyone. And by the way, any comments about an Olwell keyless in D as your first flute, beginner flute, are welcome. :)
Dereelium
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Dereelium »

I recently (in Ireland) came across a lovely flute maker Damian Thompson. I had a chance to try some of his (polymer) flutes and they are excellent. Keyed and unkeyed. Powerful instruments. Damian works in GB his website: http://www.thompsonflutes.com - you also find him on Facebook.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

You might also consider Geoffrey Ellis' ebonite Pratten style. Not a polymer, but vulcanized rubber
thomasaasen

Post by thomasaasen »

Dereelium wrote:I recently (in Ireland) came across a lovely flute maker Damian Thompson. I had a chance to try some of his (polymer) flutes and they are excellent. Keyed and unkeyed. Powerful instruments. Damian works in GB his website: http://www.thompsonflutes.com - you also find him on Facebook.
The Two Pieced Flute in Delrin that can be bought with also an Eb body, looks very interesting. Especially at that price point. A perfect set for traveling and on the road.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have a Damian Thompson 2 piece beginner flute, it has a lovely tone, & is fairly easy to blow too.

I also have a Tony Dixon 3 piece, bought used, that has a nice tone too, & again fairly easy to blow.

Likewise my M&E in 'F'.

These 3 flutes are worth their cost. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

An interesting experience to relate. I've just finished 3 keyless GLP flutes, two in blackwood, one in Delrin, so interesting to compare them all. I reckon there's very little in it. I can tell that the Delrin is a smidge heavier, but it's certainly not an issue. The Delrin is probably just a smidge more efficient, most noticeable on the lowest note, D which seems to jump out a bit better. I still feel I prefer wood, but again, just by a smidge.

In the making, the Delrin really reveals if your tools aren't extra sharp. If they are sharp enough for Delrin, they'll be great for wood.