Is there a very quiet tunable high D whistle out there?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chs1948
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Is there a very quiet tunable high D whistle out there?

Post by chs1948 »

[Post moved to Whistle Forum - Mod]

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to post this question. If it's not, please point me in the right direction. Apparently my tin whistle is too loud for my session colleagues, so I have been forbidden to play whistle until I can find a quieter instrument (must be tunable). I started out with a Copeland, moved to a Sindt, then to a tweaked Clare 2-piece. I'm still banned (I've been playing for 24 years). Does anyone know of a VERY quiet tin whistle out there? Thanks …
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Is there a very quiet tunable high D whistle out there?

Post by fatmac »

Perhaps you need a Tony Dixon ABS high D. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You have to wonder if there's an underlying problem of some kind.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

That's what I'm thinking as some session players just don't like the whistle in the mix. Those are great whistles already being used and played in many sessions. I'd look for another session to play.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Try a piece of material over the beak and airway on your existing stable of whistles.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Maybe a "sweet brass" by Chris Wall? I think you need to order it directly from him as he doesn't have them on offer in his eBay shop. My most quiet whistle is a TWZ "pure brass" - it's a German maker:
https://www.tinwhistle.de/tin-whistles/ ... histle.php
Last edited by Sedi on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Further to 'syn whistles' recommendation, I've used a bit of tape covering part of the fipple window to lower the volume on some of my Gens, when first practicing/learning, & it did work for me.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Mack Hoover used to make a very quiet whistle (I have one)...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

This is my quietest whistle that is still melodic. Shush: https://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/index.php? ... _id=223754
This is adjustable and is more quiet but gets a lot more hiss and air the quieter it is set. Parks: https://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/whistles?product_id=223622

Parks is good for when very, very quiet is needed but the Shush plays nicer in my opinion.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've put a piece of scotch tape on the mouthpiece to decrease airflow as an experiment at home. It does seem to quiet the whistle.

You are mentioning some very beloved high end whistles in your post. So it has to be something going on. Either you need to work on your technique, people in this session are being generally weird about the sound of a whistle or you are playing in a tiny space.

We all have known some players to blast away out of tune with no sense of ornamentation. That gets old pretty fast. On the other hand you may be playing like Mary Bergin but no one in the group likes whistles, period.

Most of the less expensive whistles like Oaks and Feadogs and Generatons are relatively quiet. I started my kids on Sweetones and have a number around the house to pick up and play on a whim. They seem particularly quite to me. They and most other inexpensive whistles can be made tuneable by sticking the head in hot-ish water for a couple of minutes and breaking down the glue that seals on the head. A good grip and a twist will free the head.

I had a freedman tweaked blackbird that was quieter than many. But I don't know if it would be quiet enough for your crowd.

Carbony whistles are very mellow, play well in tune and not too loud in my limited experience.

If you can manage the stretch a low D will drop the volume and shrillness factor, but I find them hard to play at speed even though I can honk away on a flute.

I've never put my hands on a Sush, but the name sounds promising.

Good Luck to you. I hope you find a place to enjoy the music. :D
ryarbrough
Tell us something.: I play flute and bodhran. I'm principally a flute player, since life is too short for me to play more than one instrument well.

Post by ryarbrough »

Interesting about the tape. Here's another: try a bit of modeling clay on the blade. Tear off a piece the size of a small pea. Flatten it a bit and stick it edgewise to the blade at the edge close to the windway. It will take a bit of adjustment and can be touchy, but that trick has quieted the whistle for me.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

This is silly. The whistles you're playing are totally fine. The problem is either they--the people in the session--don't like whistles, or more likely they don't like your playing. Maybe they don't like your phrasing, or you play the tunes differently, but the "problem" isn't the whistle.

Note I mean no criticism of the OP who may be a wonderful player, but the correction here isn't finding the right way to mute a whistle; it's either finding a different session or listening harder to the session you're in.
Elspeth
Tell us something.: I have been playing ITM on the whistle for many years and enjoy it immensely. I’d like to be part of the whistle community.

Post by Elspeth »

It does sound as though there is an underlying problem - banning seems to me extreme. Try just fingering a tune without making any sound and see what (if any) the response is. No response might be telling. My BW black is the quietest whistle that I own but admittedly expensive. Next would be my Freeman Blackbird (which is my car whistle). Good luck!
“Amuse Often, Provoke Sometimes, Entertain Always”
TomTom
Tell us something.: I'm TomTom and i'm interested in Irish music.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Post by TomTom »

This might be what you're looking for

https://folkfriends.com/en/Parks+Walkab ... e+Ring.htm
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Clarke
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve