How does ITM sound on wooden Boehm flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chrismontez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute player interested in Irish music and Irish flutes and would like to communicate with other members of this forum.

Re: How does ITM sound on wooden Boehm flutes?

Post by chrismontez »

I play a 100 year old wooden concert flute from Haynes. I think the tone fits in a little better with Irish music and I particularly like it for airs, although you can forget finger vibrato with it. My flute is low pitched- 435Hz and not as bright in tone as my other flutes. I do have a modern cut thin walled wooden headjoint for it that I use if I am playing with other metal flute players as it is easier to stay around 440 Hz with that headjoint.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, finger vibrato sounds like a typewriter on the Boehm. I did get my fins on a Boehm flute, finally, a GUO, made of grenaditte. It has a strong, almost-wood sound, quite pleasing, and the keys work fine. Also it's light. But having the keys between me and the holes is driving me crazy.
PB+J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I know practically nothing about the Boehm flute. I know some have "ring keys:" does a ring key flute get you some of the action of a simple system flute?
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Having heard Kevin Crawford sound like a trumpet on a traditional wooden flute. I believe a Grinter. And then heard Sir James Galway by turns sound like a trumpet, and then a bassoon on his gold Cooper, I would have to put your sound down to who you are and what you've done with what you've got.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi