Feakle Festival

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Feakle Festival

Post by buskerSean »

Booked my ferry and accommodation for the Feakle Festival this Aug. Can’t wait!
Mr.Gumby

Re: Feakle Matters

Post by Mr.Gumby »

As this is posted here as a subject and nobody responded to it: With a few hours to spare, I dropped in on Feakle earlier. There was a booklaunch on, of a book of Paddy Kelly tunes, that I wanted to attend. The brochure said it would be at 2, the website listed it at 4 and when I arrived (at half three), the whole thing was postponed until tomorrow (not that that was announced anywhere). :swear:

Some organised sessions were scheduled for 4 so I hung around for a while, occupying a corner, with the whistle I carry for emergencies, in the old shop in Loughnane's which is a pleasant space. Playing along Michael O Raghallaigh and Catherine McEvoy and a bunch of festival goers, loads of concertinas. Not a fan of led festival sessions but as they go, this one provided a few hours well spent (a comfy chair, a light room with fresh air and no drinkers helped). The forecast heavy rain announced itself with a sprinkling of first drips and rising wind just as I arrived back home.

My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Feakle Festival

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Peter for that.

I can certainly see the attraction in that in that beautiful light-filled space.

A very nice way to spend a few hours.

Who compiled the Paddy Kelly book?

Cheers

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Who compiled the Paddy Kelly book?
That was a bit of a slip on my part, The book is of Eddie Kelly's tunes. :oops:

Éilis Crean put the book together (she already did a CD of Eddie Kelly tunes). There was supposed to be a presentation and a bit of a tune. But nothing, someone told me her flight was stuck somewhere on the way. Was a bit disappointing to be honest.

Feakle is always very quiet during the daytime, no places really to get a bit of food (the kitchen of Loughnane's restaurant was closed) or coffee (unless you don't mind drinking something that has been sitting there for a few hours). I suppose I could have walked to Pepper's but I went into Loughnane's shop (Loughnane's eco lodge these days) to take a few snaps of the music and the room and fell into a comfy chair and enjoyed the tunes for a few hours.
My brain hurts

buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Thanks, Peter. Sadly, my son broke his arm in the skatepark on day one of the Summer holidays! As he can’t fiddle, a Summer school seemed out of the question. Somewhat heartbroken to miss this as work does not give me these opportunities very often. Current status, been going to sessions at Sidmouth and Dartmoor festivals and largely being surrounded by English Morris players with massive accordions playing them like they are at a (bad) funeral...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sorry to hear that, that must be some disappointment. Feakle is a pleasant enough festival. But that is what it is, a festival, albeit with some workshops to keep punters busy during the day (there really isn't much else to do there). WiCSS would be primarily a summerschool, with education its core and purpose, Feakle, and festivals like it, really has a different angle.
My brain hurts

buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

Yes WCSS or Scoil Acla SS would have been prefetable if my work had allowed. Still, another time. We may even make it over sometime in the Autumn.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's fine to take a few workshops at a festival, it keeps you busy during the quiet hours of the day, is not to intensive and you bring home some new insights and encouragement/motivation. But the goals of the event are different, and that distinction does matter.

Autumn, festival season is drawing to a close a bit by now, you'll get some more or less local events, Nell Galvin, Doonbeg perhaps, that are really small scale events with a concert, a few sessions and maybe a few workshops tacked on . Padraig O'Keeffe in Castleisland may be you best option, festival and quality wise during that time of the year. If you fancy festivals at all ofcourse.
My brain hurts

buskerSean

Post by buskerSean »

Festival not essential, just the opportunity to hear some great music, play in a few sessions for me and have my son (12, learning fiddle) meet some musical kids the same(ish) age.