Experience with flutes made by this music shop?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Experience with flutes made by this music shop?

Post by Nanohedron »

Conical bore wrote:Maybe it's a different wood, and just using the Cocus name?
I think one cannot arrive at any other conclusion.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

From that German music shop, the description of the 'ebenholz' flute:

"The high-speed materials were used in the production to ensure that the air flows through the air."

I love it!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Andro wrote:From that German music shop, the description of the 'ebenholz' flute:

"The high-speed materials were used in the production to ensure that the air flows through the air."

I love it!
Sounds like it was translated from Punjabi to German, and then from German to English.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Or perhaps, German to Dingbat....

I'd say that's classic Sheesham, Conical Bore. And check the rings, classic Pakistani flute...

(Very small holes, and unusual to see the L1 and R1 as big as the L2 and R2. Taken from a German flute? I'd expect "interesting" tuning....)

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Probably because we've been discussing it here, I now find that the banner advertising at the top of C&F pages is repeatedly showing me McNeela's page, and sometimes specifically 'his' flutes. I watched his own video demonstration and advert for 'his' flutes. He insists that they are cocus wood, the same wood as was used for 19th century flutes. I do not believe him for one moment. Also, judging by his demonstration, they must be nearly impossible to play. It seems to take him an enormous effort to make a noise at all, and getting it in tune is clearly not on the cards. I think it would be demoralising and counter-productive for a learner to attempt to play one of these FLOs.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Seconding Julia's praise for Doyle flutes and the Irish Flute Store, there are, in fact, two Doyle flutes for sale at IFS now. Also Patrick Olwell occasionally sells a vintage flute at IFS, one he's restored, and at a good price. It's extraordinary to get your fins on a fine flute that has been restored and tweaked by one of the greatest flute makers on earth. Blayne and Deborah are very helpful and informative, and Blayne has forgotten more about flutes and playing them than I will ever know.
DeaconBlues
Tell us something.: I currently play a Boehm flute. I am interested in expanding to an Irish flute. I’m hear it learn about the different flutes I might look to buy, and about playing the Irish flute. The fingerings look pretty similar but the techniques look different from what I play now.

Post by DeaconBlues »

So are all the flutes on the Irish Flute Store good to go? I ask because I kind of like the look of that Galleón Pratten flute. The price is certainly right.