Siúil a ruin

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Siúil a ruin

Post by benhall.1 »

I have a feeling that I am on a fool's errand with this one ... Not because no-one will be able to help me around these parts. Far from it. I think I'll get lots of help. :) But I can't help thinking I won't be up to the task ...

I would really like to be able to play the air to the song Siúil a ruin. I don't care what I play it on - fiddle, whistle, low whistle, flute, but first I have to get the air, and the words, very thoroughly in my head.

So I've been looking for a really good version. I've looked on YouTube, and I've endured a large amount of complete dross (including an absolutely abysmal version by Judy Collins, who ought to have known better). There's a lovely version by Clannad, from 1978, but it's very much of its time, and fairly individual and esoteric. I don't think it's the best for me to learn from. I've found at least one other version which I would characterise as poor but better to learn from.

Now what I need is a version that is good, and, at the same time, good to learn from. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably with links, although I'd buy something if I could be persuaded that the version was worth it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Siúil a ruin

Post by Nanohedron »

Órla Fallon, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9jMDk9pVo

You get the lyrics in the video, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In a documentary about Eithne Ní Uallacháin a few years ago, she sang a lovely informal version with her children. I liked that one a lot. It was on youtube for a while but I think it was taken down. I may be able to lift it from the version I downloaded at the time.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:In a documentary about Eithne Ní Uallacháin a few years ago, she sang a lovely informal version with her children. I liked that one a lot. It was on youtube for a while but I think it was taken down. I may be able to lift it from the version I downloaded at the time.
That would be brilliant, if you're able, Mr G. :thumbsup: :D
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Órla Fallon, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9jMDk9pVo

You get the lyrics in the video, too.
The basic tune's there. It's a bit New Agey for me. Also, it's sung differently from what seems to be the usual version of the song, in a way that seems partly taken from the old Clannad version.

One of the things that appeals to me about the song is the - as it seems to me - very odd structure, made up of three lines of verse followed by a chorus line; then three line of chorus, followed by the chorus line. I don't recall hearing another song with anything like that structure. Órla has deviated from that structure in her version. It's fair enough, but perhaps not ... I don't know what the word is ... standard(?) enough for what I want.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That would be brilliant, if you're able, Mr G
I'll give it a go tomorrow, if I have time.

You may perhaps check Skylark's recording of it on their recording 'All of it', Len Graham singing it : here
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
That would be brilliant, if you're able, Mr G
I'll give it a go tomorrow, if I have time.

You may perhaps check Skylark's recording of it on their recording 'All of it', Len Graham singing it : here
Thanks Mr G. :thumbsup: You've been extremely helpful.

I now have a sort of 'working model' of a version that maybe I can do something with. One of the remaining issues is the perennial problem of time. It's really very short. I might normally play a slow air just twice, but that can take a good five minutes or, often, more. If I play this just twice, it's over before it's hardly begun; but three times, just instrumentally, seems a bit much ... unless I can get a bit more inventive with it, without spoiling the simple beauty of the tune ...

I may have to learn to sing the thing. I haven't the greatest voice, but it works sometimes, on some songs, so you never know ...
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

One of the reasons I love Chiff and Fipple is I find out new things or am reminded old things I have forgotten. I used to listen to the Skylark version on the CD The Celts Rise Again. It is on my shelf and hasn't been dusted off for some time. Lovely.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I think I'm getting there ... gradually ...

My main difficulty at the moment is getting all of the lyrics in my head. If I had those, I think I'd have it. Nothing for it then; I'll have to learn the song.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

The version I like is a on the solas album sung by Karen Casey
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Bridget Fitzgerald recorded it on Two Sides of a Coyne. Lovely
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Post by michaelpthompson »

benhall.1 wrote:I think I'm getting there ... gradually ...

My main difficulty at the moment is getting all of the lyrics in my head. If I had those, I think I'd have it. Nothing for it then; I'll have to learn the song.
When I sing it, I usually do verse, verse, chorus with six verses total. Comes out a pretty good length, not overly repetitive.

For vocal renditions, I've always favored a version by a band called Siucra, but I don't see anything online from them.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

The choral group Anúna has recorded this, available on their new Collections album. See http://www.anuna.ie/music for a sample. Definitely worth a listen.
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Post by michaelpthompson »

Just sang it in the pub last evening. You shoulda been there. :party:
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!