WTB: Beginner Pipes Uilleann

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Bigryan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I want to start learning the Uilleann pipes, and this website comes up as the number 1 search result for information. I found pipes for sale on Ebay, but I also read on here that members say not to buy them. So, i'm a little confused on where, what and who to buy from. Hopefully if I can find a set I can find help on here about learning.

WTB: Beginner Pipes Uilleann

Post by Bigryan »

Hi Members,

I recently bought a new set of pipes from ebay againsts my better judgement, product reviews and advice on here, now I face the concequencies of my bad decision. They are unplayable, and quite a dishearting instrument. I'm sure they'll make lovely, albeit expensive firewood....

Howevers, struggling to keep my spirits up I'm wondring if anyone have a practice set for sale, or even components (Bellows, bag, chanter, stocks) which I might be able to buy?

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: WTB: Beginner Pipes Uilleann

Post by Pipewort »

See your PM's
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Will the ebay seller at least accept a return for refund?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Do the bag and bellows work?
Some do.
Buy the best chanter you can afford. If you’re on a budget try KM bagpipes printed chanter.
john

Post by john »

Might it be useful to say more about these pipes in order that others will be able to benefit from your experience? Or is it the case that they're the relatively low-priced sets from Pakistan that have already been well-reported?
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

Where are you based, Ryan? Your profile says Saltford, is that the Saltford near Bath, UK?
ertwert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ertwert »

Hi, I strongly recommend you, to look for any kind of piping related association or pipers in your area, to let them take a look at the set.
I am only a beginner on the pipes (somewhat seriously trying to learn them for a year now, having a barely playable set that was collecting dust for a couple of years longer..) and wasted a lot of time, because of technical problems with my set. At first I didn't make progress because of a broken reed and air escaping a knot on the chanter. Then, after a pipe maker fixed the chanter and and made a new reed, it took me another couple of month of barely making any progress, because the reed was too strong (at least so I thought..).
Then finally I visited a piping workshop weekend and a pipe maker noticed that me bag wasn't air tight any more and that the valve on the bellows wasn't working so well.

Now I finally have a chanter with a good working reed an air tight bag and suddenly piping seems a LOT easier and more satisfying.
Whenever I had these technical problems with the set, I thought it was just my sloppy, inexperienced playing, making everything so hard. I never realised, that the set was the problem, only other pipers made me realise that.

Therefore, I strongly recommend sending the set to a pipe maker to check, wich parts of the set are playable.
The pipe maker who fixed my set is Hendrik Morgenbrodt: http://www.morgenbrodt-pipes.de/index.php/de/

Good luck!
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

The bellows are a really important part of the whole instrument . I still play on my pat sky bellows after going through a few sets .... leaks anywhere are a nightmare . Then there is the bag . It’s probsbly as porous as a sieve ..... make your own out of upholstery vinyl.... I seen little point in even thinking about drones at this stage so if you have them block them up for a year or so . They are the backing , concentrate on the chanter . I’ve revently fettled a set of P pipes . The chanter was surprisingly ok as it had been reeded well .
Get a good chanter and a good set of well recommended bellows . Make your own bag or buy one from a reputable maker .
A friend of mine still plays just the chanter and he’s from a long line of illustrious pipers, it’s the singing voice and the heart of the instrument though that could better be said of the reed perhaps .
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
Bigryan
Tell us something.: I want to start learning the Uilleann pipes, and this website comes up as the number 1 search result for information. I found pipes for sale on Ebay, but I also read on here that members say not to buy them. So, i'm a little confused on where, what and who to buy from. Hopefully if I can find a set I can find help on here about learning.

Post by Bigryan »

Hello,

Thank you for your messages folks. Still on the search for a beginner chanter / bag / bellows. A few messages from memebers on here are greatly appreaciated.

The set I purchased is indeed a middle east set. The Bag appears to be air tight, but that's about the only good thing about it. I have requested a return, so fingers crossed.

I'm toying with the idea of making up a practice set piecemeal, just to get started and running. If anyone has bags or bellows for sale it would be greatly appreaciated.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Bigryan

Post by Bigryan »

Hi,

I managed to return the MIME practice set, so currently pipe-less. Had some lovely messages from folks on here, but slightly outside my price bracket.

The serch continues. Hopefully I can make up a patch work set, from a set of decent second hand set of bellows, a tied kelleher bag and stocks, and hopefully a chanter from ebay. Just need to keep the eyes peeled!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Bigryan

KM bagpipes 3D printed chanter

Eamonn Currann bellows

They are from the same seller.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
JordanMcConnell
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Post by JordanMcConnell »

Joe Kennedy is making some low priced chanters at the moment. You can find his facebook or instagram post for pictures. I think a couple of this batch are spoken for but there might still be one or two available.
I believe they are made from apple, but you'd need to check with him. Regardless, they are wooden chanters with the same guts as his normal work, just a stripped down exterior. He is charging $500 CAD which for you all down south is under $380 USD. Add Kelleher bag and bellows of your choice and you are flying. His email is unionpipemaker at yahoo dot ca.
I play one of Joe's concert sets and it is a lovely instrument.
Cheers,
Jordan
Stonehousepiper
Tell us something.: I am registering to network with other uilleann pipers. I don't tend to write more than 100 characters very often. I have used this site as a guest reference and just figured that it made sense to join and be a participating member.

Post by Stonehousepiper »

Ryan--Are you still looking for a decent practice set?