World Piping event in San Diego

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
psoutowood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

World Piping event in San Diego

Post by psoutowood »

Hi all, I'm looking to set up a night of music to bring together all types of bagpipes for one big night of music. It will be at a Scottish brewpub called Fourpenny House just outside San Diego and I'm looking at sometime in late September. So far we've got Uilleann, GHB, and Scottish smallpipes. I'm hoping to get some Swedish, Hungarian, Spanish, and French pipes in the mix. Anyone interested?

-Peter
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: World Piping event in San Diego

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Don't forget the Northumbrian Smallpipes.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If I were organizing such an event my first priority would be to get Hector Bezanis (in the Bay Area) who is a fantastic Bulgarian piper. He also does the Greek pipes.

His playing is mesmerizing and technically amazing. His bagpipe's tone is gorgeous. All those Bulgarian tunes in 11/8 and 15/8 and such are so cool.

Also in the Bay Area is the terrific Hungarian piper Ferenc Tobak.

Do you know Ian Law there in the San Diego area? He plays a variety of instruments including the Gaita Gallega and the Central French bagpipes. (The instrument and music has nothing whatever to do with Breton piping.) He could probably put together a small ensemble to play Spanish and Central French music.

Check out the online information about the international bagpipe festival that's been going on for years up in the Bay Area Drone Magic.

If you want a taste of Cornish pipes, I'm your man.

Is the date of this event set? When it's set, it would be cool if you let us know. I will try to attend.

Who did you get for the uilleann pipes?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

How did this event go?