Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
PlanxtyPipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Re: Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

My Blackwood Olwell Keyless Pratten D with silver lined headjoint:

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

^Forgive my ignorance but what do the bottom two holes play? It doesn't look like the fingers could reach them...
Beautiful flute by the way...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:^Forgive my ignorance but what do the bottom two holes play? It doesn't look like the fingers could reach them...
They don't play anything. As far as I know, they're not even tuned to anything. They are kind of 'vestigial', from the two holes at the bottom of a keyed flute, used to play C# and Cnat. I have been told that some makers consider them necessary on keyless flutes for the tone. Certainly, the top one is necessary, if you're going to have a long foot, because it's the one that allows the D to speak. But some keyless flutes have a short foot, that is, they don't have that bottom footjoint at all, but just have enough length to sound the bottom D.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:^Forgive my ignorance but what do the bottom two holes play? It doesn't look like the fingers could reach them...
They don't play anything. As far as I know, they're not even tuned to anything. They are kind of 'vestigial', from the two holes at the bottom of a keyed flute, used to play C# and Cnat. I have been told that some makers consider them necessary on keyless flutes for the tone. Certainly, the top one is necessary, if you're going to have a long foot, because it's the one that allows the D to speak. But some keyless flutes have a short foot, that is, they don't have that bottom footjoint at all, but just have enough length to sound the bottom D.
In the world of Native American flute there are often flutes which are longer than necessary, for adornments and such, and at the end are what are known as direction holes, but I understand they are also tuning holes, allowing the flute to be longer without affecting tuning/intonation.
jmoss

Irish flute

Post by jmoss »

Hello guys my name is Dimitris,
i am very happy to announce that i am owner of an Irish Fipple Flute from Tyrone Head the flute maker, this flute has very nice and clear sound. By the way does anyone knows the soundtrack from the You tube videos of Tyler Head instructional videos showing the process of making an Irish flute?
I am a pipemaker so i love woodcrafting and in my plans is to make 2-3 flutes from wood and from bronze. Where i can find tips about this marvelous craft?

Thank you
Sequimite
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

Post by Sequimite »

I've been trying to get into Irish traditional music the last few weeks with my mandolin. I was taken with the flutes I'd heard, looked about and presto; two are on the way. I did a lot of reading here and especially at originalflutes.com where the Sears 6 key piccolo was highly praised and at oldflutes.com where the Sears catalog of 1908 showed the piccolo I bought and, I think, the flute is a late 19th century Sears import, both from Huller. Fingers crossed, there's a 90% chance these are both in D. I have zero experience on flute.

edit - Just received the Piccolo and I have beaten the odds. I thought it said E flat, but the marking is "Es". anyone know what that means? All the Huller markings are there, other than there name, but none of the Sears markings. I'll check it on a tuner when I can get the lowest pitch to sound for more than a split second. It's a lovely thing and I'm glad to have bought it regardless of key. I was just going to get the flute but for $53 I couldn't resist this piccolo.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sequimite wrote:edit - Just received the Piccolo and I have beaten the odds. I thought it said E flat, but the marking is "Es". anyone know what that means?
Well, "Es", in German notation, simply means "E flat", so I imagine it's that. ("H" is B natural, and "B" is B flat.)
whisper_jan
Tell us something.: Long story short: started to learn basics as a folk music fan, came here to learn and improve. Also I have some questions about choosing a flute.

Post by whisper_jan »

PlanxtyPipes wrote:My Blackwood Olwell Keyless Pratten D with silver lined headjoint:

She's so beautiful!

Here's mine, Chieftain v5 (low D). Been playing higher one before, switched to the Chief and I'm pretty happy with the tone and it sounds great, especially in the lower octave! That's exactly what I've been looking for, yet still I need to practice (and fix my grip I believe).

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Something I made in my workshop (just for fun--might have gone a little overboard with the brushing).

AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Sedi wrote:Something I made in my workshop (just for fun--might have gone a little overboard with the brushing).

Looks gorgeous!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks! It didn't play too well though. The tube was too thin. I made another one from thicker tube and have made a couple more since. Just finished a fife in G today.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

nice little Millyard F flute
https://imgur.com/hrDVJyJ
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

nice Olwell, like the single body
Lyscanthrope
Tell us something.: I am interrested in Irish music and an aspiring flute player.
I started on a doug tipple then I switched to a baudet ....I love it !

Post by Lyscanthrope »

New here,
Here is my François baubet delrin flute.... Hidden in its custom made housing:

https://ibb.co/9VkgszR
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

nice