Different sounds on Sindt whistles?(+Pat O'Riordan)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
thomasaasen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Different sounds on Sindt whistles?(+Pat O'Riordan)

Post by thomasaasen »

After having 3 Sindt whistles in High D, I'm left with a silver tube and brass/delrin mouthpiece. I sold my first brass that I had ordered directly from him. Then I got an older, earlier version that, I think, sounded and felt better. In fact, it was like two different whistles, almost. I had an order in for my silver tube High D then. I really like my silver, it has a clearer tone, but still all the attributes that belongs to a Sindt whistle. So I sold my older Brass since I liked both the look and tone on my new silver tube, and also because it was made for me. But now, after some years, I miss it so much, and regret selling it. It just had something special that I can't find in any whistles. I'm now waiting for an C, hopefully it will have something of that feeling I miss. Is there anyone else who has noticed a difference in Sindt whistles? Or am I just imagining it? I also have a Pat O'Riordan Traveler Whistle in High D, with Brass tubes in two parts, and a Delrin mouthpiece. So it's a 3 part whistle. I often use to swap bodies with my Sindt, and both whistles sounds very nice. The Sindt now in full Brass and my O'Riordan with that nice silver body and black fipple. Those two goes hand in hand wherever I play. It's like having 4 whistles in soprano D, perfect. Would love to hear others experience with the Sindt whistles in sound differences and also with other tubes.(I'm interested to hear what tubes would fit and play nicely, maybe Generation?)Also anyone who has the O'Riordan as mentioned? Would like to hear more about this whistle. Mine was made in 2002.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Different sounds on Sindt whistles?(+Pat O'Riordan)

Post by pancelticpiper »

I can't say that I've ever noticed a significant effect that different metal tubes have, but then again I've never played a sterling silver tube on a brass headed whistle.

What differences do you experience?

I know in the Boehm flute world I've played all-silver flutes and flutes with silver heads and nickle bodies, and I didn't feel much difference.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
thomasaasen

Post by thomasaasen »

pancelticpiper wrote:I can't say that I've ever noticed a significant effect that different metal tubes have, but then again I've never played a sterling silver tube on a brass headed whistle.

What differences do you experience?

I know in the Boehm flute world I've played all-silver flutes and flutes with silver heads and nickle bodies, and I didn't feel much difference.
I feel it makes a clearer tone with the silver tube. I'm not sure it's a little smaller tube(narrower bore) that makes it. Also I noticed that the Brass/Delrin head on my silver tube Sind is a bit larger then the others I had. I have a feeling it's most my imagination, but I really think that I felt a difference on my 3 Sidnt whistles.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

There is an old thread somewhere that I started on the topic...I also have played another Sindt and it felt completely different to me....the mystery was evetually solved when I discovered a difference in the fipple plugs...someone may post a link but I have no idea how....John switched designs when he started getting busy in order to speed up production...if you look through the top of the fipple, the block on the older ones have a flat ramp while the plug on the newer models are curved thus saving the time to shave it down...the old post has photos as well...I am predicting that your current has the curved plug....so the difference, in this case, is most likely this and not the tube material...I'm relieved you noticed the difference as well because it was quite confusing before the discovery.
thomasaasen

Post by thomasaasen »

whistle1000 wrote:There is an old thread somewhere that I started on the topic...I also have played another Sindt and it felt completely different to me....the mystery was evetually solved when I discovered a difference in the fipple plugs...someone may post a link but I have no idea how....John switched designs when he started getting busy in order to speed up production...if you look through the top of the fipple, the block on the older ones have a flat ramp while the plug on the newer models are curved thus saving the time to shave it down...the old post has photos as well...I am predicting that your current has the curved plug....so the difference, in this case, is most likely this and not the tube material...I'm relieved you noticed the difference as well because it was quite confusing before the discovery.
Whow, thankyou "whistle1000", that was an interesting observation and fact. I never knew. If so, I wouldn't have sold my old one, but kept it, for sure. Not that the never Sindt sounds bad, they are absolutely fantastic. But I had a thing for the older one, a connection. It can be that I played it a lot, for a long time, and then went over to my new Silver tube. Ok, good to know. I might need an older Sindt again.:)
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thank you so much Derek as it was your post that led me to this “discovery”! I certainly would never have on my own :)
thomasaasen

Post by thomasaasen »

Thankyou both "whistle1000" and Derek Blackwell for all your help. This is sure an great discovering. I see some like the newer design better and some the older, flat one. I'm into the last, flat one, since it was the one I played the most and it fitted my way of playing/breath. So, if anyone have the older type in High D, but would like the newer version and/or the silver tube, with a longer mouthpiece, I'll be happy to trade.;)