Antique Clark (no E?) - Any guesses on age?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Antique Clark (no E?) - Any guesses on age?

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Trying to estimate the date of this antique Clark (no E?) that just arrived in the shop. I reached out to Clarke and they didn't know either. Anyone here have an somewhat educated guess? Thanks much!

Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Antique Clark (no E?) - Any guesses on age?

Post by Blayne Chastain »

I should add that Jim at Clarke said...

"Definitely looks like a CLARKE , the only thing I can think of is that Clarke did produce ‘own brand’ whistles for a number of British companies over many years, particularly for export!
Regrettably I cannot give a date of manufacture."
whistlecollector
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by whistlecollector »

This one is late 19th century (possibly) to early 20th century (almost certainly).

Image no. 10 in Norman Dannatt's "The History of the Tin Whistle" clearly shows a 1903 Lyon & Healy Catalog page with a "Clark's London Flageolet" priced at $1.35 per dozen.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

whistlecollector wrote:
Image no. 10 in Norman Dannatt's "The History of the Tin Whistle" clearly shows...
There IS such a thing?! omg :shock: I think I need it
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

You can find it here or here.

And perhaps check the review on the Amazon page...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Tyghress wrote:
whistlecollector wrote:
Image no. 10 in Norman Dannatt's "The History of the Tin Whistle" clearly shows...
There IS such a thing?! omg :shock: I think I need it
:o :o :o CAVEAT!!! :o :o :o

At best it's a kind of ramble through the early history of the Clarke family along with the evolution of the company. I got it when it was first published and was severely disappointed that it's basically an infomercial for Clarke whistles. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever about any kind of whistle other than Clarke. There are very few pictures of even Clarke whistles other than relatively new Clarke products. They don't even reproduce Norman's wonderful collection of actual historical Clarke whistles!!

If you're interested in the story of Robert Clarke and the company, then it's a good read. There's also a section on well known whistlers which is certainly worth a look if you've already got the book, but not a sufficient draw to buy.

If you're interested in the history of the penny whistle as a musical instrument, I'd give this book a pass.

I also strongly dislike the choice of heavy glossy paper for the insides of the book. Very annoying choice.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I notice the name G. CLARK'S LONDON MAKE, however I have an old whistle in F that is stamped R. CLARKE. Who is G. Clarke? A brother, cousin?
stromeyer
Tell us something.: I've played bagpipes since I was a kid, now study harp as well. Worked with the whistle maker Chris Abell many years ago. I collect molds, spores, and fungus (mostly in my pipes).

Post by stromeyer »

What a wonderful old beauty.

How does it sound? If it is from the turn of the century, would you say it references a different standard for A (i.e. not 440hz). Just curious. Coming from a background of highland pipe I know that there are some huge differences over the span of a hundred years for what is considered in-tune.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Curators at the Smithsonian often use typography to date things--I bet that typeface would speak to them. They have an obligation to answer public queries, but they generally resist frivolous queries like "my grandmother had this sewing machine, how much is it worth?" If you wrote to the musical instruments division and explained your background and goals you might get an answer.

I'd be worried about the solder on that.
Maaxxx
Tell us something.: My name is Maaxxx. I have been playing whistles for around 12 years, both in a band and at sessions. I also play a few other instruments and have been involved in traditional Celtic music since the 1960s. I see this forum as a welcome opportunity to exchange ideas and encourage the development of others in this field. I have visited this site many times over the years and have decided, at last, that I should register in support of what I consider to be a valuable resource.

Post by Maaxxx »

I have a very old Clarke whistle with W Clarke on it. When I contacted Norman Dannatt and forwarded photos to him, he replied that it was definitely one of their own but was unable to work out who the W was. He did say that a branch of the family opened a factory in Hackney so, it was possible, that the W was one of that branch so maybe the D and the G are also. He was unable to date it accurately but suggested turn of the century or earlier.
stromeyer
Tell us something.: I've played bagpipes since I was a kid, now study harp as well. Worked with the whistle maker Chris Abell many years ago. I collect molds, spores, and fungus (mostly in my pipes).

Post by stromeyer »

PB+J wrote: I'd be worried about the solder on that.
A little lead helps soften the brain and loosen up the playing :lol: