Anyone have a copy of Grey Larsen's book?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
EzMan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.
I play silver and timber flute whistles and bass trombone

Anyone have a copy of Grey Larsen's book?

Post by EzMan »

Looking for a copy of Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle by Grey Larsen.
If you have one you want to get rid of cheap, let me know.
Thx
EZ
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Anyone have a copy of Grey Larsen's book?

Post by fatmac »

Ebay & Abebooks had it, not sure if the prices will suit you. :wink:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

You can get it on Grey's website here. He has an ebook version for only $35.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And Amazon has paper copies for about the same price.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Where are you, and what do you regard as "cheap" ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Cheapest copy on ebay is €28 It's in the UK but their postal rates are very reasonable indeed (about a fiver for the US)
My brain hurts

EzMan
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.
I play silver and timber flute whistles and bass trombone

Post by EzMan »

Hey there, thanks for the replies,
I live in NY USA.
I would be interested in a copy for under
$25 shipped. I have heard mixed reviews,
but still would like some of the info it has.
Thanks
Eli
kenny

Post by kenny »

I find it very hard to believe that anyone could ship a book that size to the States for "under a fiver". It regularly costs me [ or to be more accurate, the buyer ], £5 to send a CD to the USA. However, if that's what they say they'll do, you might not get better. I'll ask at my post office tomorrow - I do have an extra copy which came up cheap on "eBay" a while back, but I doubt very much that I could send it to the USA and break even because of the charges our UK Post Office levy.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I find it very hard to believe that anyone could ship a book that size to the States for "under a fiver"
It surprised me too, especially as the shipping cost they quote is half of what they quote to ship to Ireland. But there it is, I have to go by what their listing tells me. That said, I have ordered several books and other items recently that gave free shipping and they were cheap to begin with (so shipping was not added to the price in a roundabout way).
My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I would venture a guess about the postage. The devil is in the details. The seller is utilizing Royal Mail International Standard. This is a form of 'minimum standard mail service' through the Universal Postal Union. It is as slow as the movement of glacial ice. The shipper gives an outer time frame of 25 days for delivery. I just received a 'standard mail' parcel from Switzerland in about 28 days, with maybe a day to three days for a cursory exam by US Customs.

Bob

edit to add: once in the US, the Standard Mail Book Rate is a great deal, since it gets subsidised as 'educational material'.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would venture a guess about the postage. The devil is in the details. The seller is utilizing Royal Mail International Standard. This is a form of 'minimum standard mail service' through the Universal Postal Union. It is as slow as the movement of glacial ice. The shipper gives an outer time frame of 25 days for delivery. I just received a 'standard mail' parcel from Switzerland in about 28 days, with maybe a day to three days for a cursory exam by US Customs.
That sounds about right although my experiences vary a bit, I have waited for a book to arrive from the US for over six weeks (and by that time had received a replacement from the seller) a few times. Two weeks ago I bought an external storage/backup drive from the UK at the free postage rate (supposedly slower) that arrived in two days, which is faster than average, and similar has happened several times. Which leaves me with the impression that from the UK and Europe at least the cheap postage just goes in with the bulk of the mail. The ebay global shipping scheme is much slower and hideously expensive but they do send you an email each time someone licks a stamp :P Cheap or free post from China and Hongkong, now that requires serious patience but it does get there eventually, which is great (as items sold are usually ridiculously cheap to begin with) if you're not in a rush.
My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Yes, Mr. G, I think you are correct about the cheaper items being carried along with the general mail stream. Curiously enough, they try to keep items from washing up and getting delayed in 'eddies' and 'backpools'. I labored in the bowels of the postal beast for many years and can tell you they are not at all interested in 'warehousing the mail'. Don't store it, just move it. Asia is an entirely different beast. They used to have a class called 'Surface Sea Mail'. Your item might end up as deck cargo on a tramp freighter. The proverbial 'slow boat to China'.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sequimite
Tell us something.: I've become fascinated with Irish traditional music lately. I want to use my mandolin, but I am starting on acoustic bass guitar at a local Irish trad jam.

Post by Sequimite »

They're out there. I bought a copy yesterday for $21. Here's one available for $23:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/essent ... QwQAvD_BwE