Catskills Irish Arts Week, 2019

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Catskills Irish Arts Week, 2019

Post by Wanderer »

Met up with with Nick Metcalf, and got me one of his whistles.

Expect a review in the nearish future.

Took some classes.

Mary was very personable, but very tough. I felt like I learned a lot. It's gonna take a while for it all to sink in, I think.

Played at a few sessions

All in all, I had a great time!
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Catskills Irish Arts Week, 2019

Post by ytliek »

I was there Saturday 7/20 for finale festival only. The music was fabulous but the temperature was oppressive sweltering. Glad you enjoyed the week. Sorry to miss you.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun. What whistle is Mary playing/holding in the pic? Looks like an Oak.
And how does the whistle from Nick play? They look so gorgeous.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Sedi wrote:Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun. What whistle is Mary playing/holding in the pic? Looks like an Oak.
And how does the whistle from Nick play? They look so gorgeous.
I'm not sure what Mary's holding. When she started the class, she said she wasn't going to bring out the "good whistles" because she tends to bang out rhythm on her chair with it while teaching. So, I didn't really pay it much mind. Whatever it was played acceptably well, but a little too tinny/scratchy for my tastes.

When one student's Sindt whistle sounded particularly strangled, she did mention she had Sindts, but had given them over to John for cleaning that morning, so they weren't available.

Nick's whistle played well enough for me to buy it, but I haven't spent any real time with it yet. I wanted to stick with a whistle I knew very well for the sessions and the classes, so it's mostly sat untouched until I can spend some real time with it.
Elspeth
Tell us something.: I have been playing ITM on the whistle for many years and enjoy it immensely. I’d like to be part of the whistle community.

Post by Elspeth »

Wow - how great that you got to study with Mary. Is it my imagination or does she use the tips of her fingers when playing instead of a piper's-type grip?
“Amuse Often, Provoke Sometimes, Entertain Always”
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Elspeth wrote:Wow - how great that you got to study with Mary. Is it my imagination or does she use the tips of her fingers when playing instead of a piper's-type grip?
Not your imagination. You don't really need a piper's grip on a high d. Some of us don't even use a piper's grip on a low D :wink:
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Yeah, I thought it was standard to use the pads/tips of your fingers on a high whistle.