BURKE MARK

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

BURKE MARK

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

I noticed when I was cleaning and greasing my Burke D Brass whistle that under the mouthpiece it had this dark mark on the tube under the mouthpiece. What is this? Just rubbing where I have adjusted the intonation by moving the tuning slide? See picture below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hQWfgR8goUH2ZuGi6
Last edited by Matthewlawson3 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
busterbill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: BURKE MARK

Post by busterbill »

The photobucket logo appears right over the whistle on both pictures when I opened them. Try taking a picture with the whistle in a different position. (Others may not have this problem. I am a photobucket idiot.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:The photobucket logo appears right over the whistle on both pictures when I opened them. Try taking a picture with the whistle in a different position. (Others may not have this problem. I am a photobucket idiot.)
I'm getting the same visual obstruction.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Nanohedron wrote:
busterbill wrote:The photobucket logo appears right over the whistle on both pictures when I opened them. Try taking a picture with the whistle in a different position. (Others may not have this problem. I am a photobucket idiot.)
I'm getting the same visual obstruction.
Okay. I'm not getting that. I'll try something new.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Yes you seem to have worn a photobucket logo into the whistle
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

PB+J wrote:Yes you seem to have worn a photobucket logo into the whistle
Okay guys try the new link in the original post. That hopefully should work.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Could it be residue from the O ring. I assume Burkes are still made with an O ring inside. I'd just email Michael Burke. It is interesting. My Burke is older and I believe the design changed a bit. But it is also off in another state with my son or I'd take mine apart and see if it looks the same.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

busterbill wrote:Could it be residue from the O ring. I assume Burkes are still made with an O ring inside. I'd just email Michael Burke. It is interesting. My Burke is older and I believe the design changed a bit. But it is also off in another state with my son or I'd take mine apart and see if it looks the same.
That's a good point. Yes they still have O rings. I might email Michael Burke and find out.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

busterbill wrote:Could it be residue from the O ring. I assume Burkes are still made with an O ring inside. I'd just email Michael Burke. It is interesting. My Burke is older and I believe the design changed a bit. But it is also off in another state with my son or I'd take mine apart and see if it looks the same.
Here is Michael Burke's response regarding the mark.

"Hi Matthew,
I do not know what that black stuff is. It is not going to affect playability and it is not visible, but if you want to get rid of it, you could clean all the greae off and then wipe it with a rag or swab soaked in acetone. Alcohol might also work. Dry it off afterward and relubricate.
By the way- vaseline is ok in a pinch but it can build up  and need to be cleaned off, so I recommend a synthetic food grade grease called Super Lube.

You can get a 3 oz tube at Amazon and it will last a lifetime.
Here is a picture of it.
All the best
Mike

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030 ... 169&sr=8-3
"