Identify this set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
JR

Re: Identify this set

Post by JR »

MichaelLoos wrote:Wouldn't a Michael Dow set likely have Michael Dow bellows?
Not necessarily. But the way the brass connector on the bellows is screwed in is somewhat familiar of Dow's other bellows. An image of the front would help to clarify.

I would say the rest of the set is very much in the style of Michael Dow. Check out the mount on the chanter top and compare.

Dow is more well known for making Smallpipes, and there is a striking similarity in the turning, materials and decorative lines found in here:

Its also kinda hard to see with the pixelisation but the brass decoration on the drone switch looks like it could be the same too.

Hope this helps.
myles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

An early de Keyser possibly?

Decoration fairly similar to examples I have seen, similar end mounts on drones, was making in this timeframe, used 'H' drone ends, also sold via music shops occasionally

Edit: here's a De Keyser half set from a sale in Ireland - ignore the puck and you will note some similarities
Pipezilla
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Pipezilla »

Well.. bidding has ended on the pipes and no one placed a bid. I've sent a few messages to the owner suggesting he check for a maker's mark on the chanter and stock. I will let y'all know if he ever responds.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

How much was the reserve price ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Was this on ebay or a different auction site? I search regularly, and this listing never came come up.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

I never saw it on my searches.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It's the French eBay, if that explains anyone missing it. The reserve was 400 Euros.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Uillaenn-pipe-c ... SwuW9dEQOf
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Ah. The misspelling in the listing title as well as in the description could be another reason why it never came up in searches.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The description mentions that the set was purchased in a music shop in Ireland 25 years ago.
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PJ wrote:The description mentions that the set was purchased in a music shop in Ireland 25 years ago.
Yep, that's why I asked about shop prices in the '90s. Due to some PMs, I had a link to the site but for some reason it escaped my notice that the link hadn't been published in this thread as well - until my previous post. Went right over my head. Sorry about that mixup.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

A missed opportunity , at 400euro its got be worth a gamble and as its not Asian the chances of it being half decent are good.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

So apparently it was relisted, and then it sold with only one bid.
Pipezilla, did you happen to be the winning bidder?
Pipezilla

Post by Pipezilla »

I was, I couldn't help myself. Anyhow, I'm still waiting on shipping quote from the seller. I've sent a few messages to the seller since the original listing, and I haven't had a response. So... we shall see.
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Please keep us updated on how this set works out for you!

Also, it occurred to me that pipemakers make the drone shutoff switch in different shapes. Some are rather distinctive, such as Aodán Jefferies' shamrock or Kenneth McNicholl's perpendicular cylinder. So that could be another possible way to identify this set.
Here's a photo from the listing that shows the switch (though kind of fuzzy): https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lgIAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
myles

Post by myles »

I'd still put money on that being one of de Keyser's earlier sets.