Identify this set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pipezilla
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Identify this set

Post by Pipezilla »

I had seen an unmarked / unidentified set for sale and was curious if this looks familiar to anyone. Of middle eastern origin?

https://ibb.co/L6dvnZp

https://ibb.co/3B5kLGR

https://ibb.co/NL3w1ms
Last edited by Pipezilla on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
an seanduine

Re: Mid East Set?

Post by an seanduine »

I don't see any usual 'Marks of the Beast'. FWIW I say not Pakistani.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Mid East Set?

Post by rorybbellows »

Interesting looking set,the craftsmanship looks good . If you could get to hear it play and the price was right it would be world pursuing,IMHO .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Identify this set

Post by Nanohedron »

Details do bring Dave Boisvert to mind, but I can't recall if he ever made "H"-style bass drone ends. Unfortunately examples for close comparison are hard to come by on the web, Dave's website is down, and while he's a member here, he doesn't log in much at all. He has a Facebook account, though, and contacting him that way could possibly shed light as to whether it's one of his sets.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

My money is on Alan Ginsberg.
PJ
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

To me its looks a little like a Kirk Lynch set and the worrying thing is, didn't some Asian pipemakers copy some of Kirk's work.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Pipezilla

Post by Pipezilla »

Have y'all ever seen the asian makers do an H-bar on the drone?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

rorybbellows wrote:To me its looks a little like a Kirk Lynch set...
I'm not so convinced of that. I don't know a lot about Lynch's style(s), but per a web search it appears that Lynch favors a more decorative evidence of the turner's art: spare combing, bulbous termini, that sort of thing. Instead, the set in question has clean, almost spartan lines and uniformly smooth wood surfaces for the most part, any eye candy being in the overall shaping of the wood bits, especially on the drones: simple cylinders, spindle shapes and tapers that meet up cleanly with the metalwork; any areas proud of the ferrules and tubing are slight, or added using other materials. That, and an eye for the beauty of the wood itself, which relies on sheen rather than ornate turnery for its impact. The striking grain of the drone stock is also something I'd expect out of Boisvert. The simplicity's deceptive, and tasteful in a way that might bring to mind Nordic furniture.

Boisvert may not be the only maker who favors that style, but it's what he does, and his sets are very easy on the eyes. I remember a special set he made for Joseph E. Smith: I spent a long time admiring it just for its subdued yet highly pleasing visual impact. You could tell that everything he did in terms of outward design was calculated to employ simplicity for a sharp, streamlined look, and IMO he nailed it. You could call the effect "modern", in a way.

The set in question has those elements, but of course it could be by another maker; there are one or two things about it that I'd be less likely to expect out of Boisvert, but if it is by him, then maybe it's an earlier piece.

Anyway, I'm not particularly invested in my assertion that it might be Boisvert, but it is worth looking into. TBH, I don't know if he's ever marked or signed his pieces.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Pipezilla

Post by Pipezilla »

I just contacted Dave Boisvert on Facebook and he says that it is not one of his earlier sets.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Pipezilla wrote:I just contacted Dave Boisvert on Facebook and he says that it is not one of his earlier sets.
Fantastic! I'll shut up now. :)
JR

Post by JR »

Looks like it could be Michael Dow
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Wouldn't a Michael Dow set likely have Michael Dow bellows?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

MichaelLoos wrote:Wouldn't a Michael Dow set likely have Michael Dow bellows?
Not if it was in disguise. :o
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Guess I can't shut up. :wink:

Was just looking over the eBay offering, and a question comes up: What range of prices might one have encountered for a ready-to-go half set in a shop in 1990s Ireland?
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Nanohedron wrote:Guess I can't shut up. :wink:

Was just looking over the eBay offering, and a question comes up: What range of prices might one have encountered for a ready-to-go half set in a shop in 1990s Ireland?
Hmm... in the mid-1990s, An Píobaire ran ads for a seller in County Down known as Clan Uladh. They listed half sets for £550. "At Last - Top Quality Pipes at Realistic Prices."
But some comments here at C&F in 2004 indicate that pipes made in Pakistan were stamped with the Clan Uladh name to give the impression of authenticity.