Burke Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

Burke Question

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

What can you use to clean off the outside top part of a Burke Brass Narrow Bore D whistle? Would 91% isopropyl alochol be okay to use and wipe off?
busterbill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Burke Question

Post by busterbill »

If you want to polish it up Weiman's Brass polish is water based and can be rinsed off completely without leaving a residue.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

busterbill wrote:If you want to polish it up Weiman's Brass polish is water based and can be rinsed off completely without leaving a residue.

I like the dark patina. I just want to wipe the top exterior of the mouthpiece clean. Would alochol be okay to use or would it affect the brass?
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I have used alcohol in the form of a hand sanitizer on all of my whistles, including the Burke. It was fine; nothing happened. For the Burke, I just applied it on the black delrin part but I suspect some got
on the brass part too. Don’t rub it. Just let it evaporate. By top part, I assume you meant the mouthpiece.
awildman

Post by awildman »

There is no point in using chemicals for light cleaning. Try soap and water. The water is harmless, and the soap will rinse away. Scrub with your fingers, or a soft cloth, or even an old toothbrush.

IMO, only use chemicals when absolutely necessary. Start with the soap and water.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:I have used alcohol in the form of a hand sanitizer on all of my whistles, including the Burke. It was fine; nothing happened. For the Burke, I just applied it on the black delrin part but I suspect some got
on the brass part too. Don’t rub it. Just let it evaporate. By top part, I assume you meant the mouthpiece.
Yes the mouthpiece on the brass part of it where my lips touch or barely touch.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

awildman wrote:There is no point in using chemicals for light cleaning. Try soap and water. The water is harmless, and the soap will rinse away. Scrub with your fingers, or a soft cloth, or even an old toothbrush.

IMO, only use chemicals when absolutely necessary. Start with the soap and water.
Just to confirm the water will be okay with brass?
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

A drop of dish soap and water will do the trick if you don't want the patina to change. I'd think you'd end up tasting alcohol or hand sanitizer. I end up tasting tarnish at a certain point and just polish my whistle if it bugs me. But it re- tarnishes up just fine on its own. The only way you'd get brass to stay shiny is with a Downton Abby like obsession with polishing. Most brass that stays shiny has a lacquer coating, including trombones and saxophones. That practice has never been seen as very practical with whistles.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Matthewlawson3 wrote:
awildman wrote:There is no point in using chemicals for light cleaning. Try soap and water. The water is harmless, and the soap will rinse away. Scrub with your fingers, or a soft cloth, or even an old toothbrush.

Just to confirm the water will be okay with brass?
The inside of your whistle deals with condensation from your lungs on a regular basis. It must handle moisture decently.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

busterbill wrote:... I'd think you'd end up tasting alcohol ...
And that is a problem??? :wink:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Steve Bliven wrote: And that is a problem??? :wink:
It can be :P

My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I didn't realize you'd met my uncle.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Thank you guys. Maybe a dab of soap and water on my fingers and then wipe on the mouthpiece and then wipe off with a dry cloth would be enough.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote: And that is a problem??? :wink:
It can be :P

Now that's the right kind of alcohol for tasting. I was thinking of the lovely bouquet of hand sanitizer... :D