interesting eBay flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
flyingparchment
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: i have an unhealthy obsession with flutes and thought i should try to find some other people to share my problems with! (i play a TJ Boehm-system flute and an M&E 6-key simple system flute i've just acquired, hence the interest in C&F.)

interesting eBay flute

Post by flyingparchment »

"Nice Clinton simple system English flute"

what's a Clinton flute?

it seems to have the normal simple system fingering, at least partly - i can see the B-flat and long F keys, and i can see the short F tone hole but i'm not sure where the key touch is. there's some sort of mechanism on the F/F#(?) key that i don't understand.

Clinton apparently designed a post-Boehm system called the Clinton Equisonant flute but the example there has quite different keywork: ring keys rather than plateau keys, no F/F# mechanism, and the B-flat/C mechanism described on that page seems to be missing.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: interesting eBay flute

Post by jemtheflute »

This is not a Clinton flute in any sense. It's a good representative of one of the two main forms of the all-covered simple system. The eBay vendor, a hydra-headed nuisance in the antique flute market in Britain of recent years, has very poor knowledge. He's sold similar flutes previously without misusing Clinton's name. He's only done so in recent months with this flute and another similar one. Goodness knows why, but it's just wrong.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads