Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Ebay Items

Post by BigDavy »

The Kwisthout set is in County Down, Rory.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I was referring to the reed kit Davy, I got the impression that our subterranean dwelling friend from Texas had thought that you had got the location wrong. All very confusing ,I know , but thats the nature of internet communication I suppose.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Sorry David and Rory, I didn't realize that you lot were talking about two separate items, I thought they were just the one and I only clicked on the first link for the half set - which does have shipping charges of 80-something quid, so I didn't even notice the second link.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

BigDavy wrote: Practice set with single drone - UK only, Adderson chanter, Shaw drone and 2 sets of bellows.
Addison set with drone - UK only, relisted

David
myles

Post by myles »

The same seller is also advertising a Daye half set with Pakistan-made stock and bellows.
RenaissanceGuy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

David Daye himself takes the Pakistani-made stock and refurbishes it "for quality valve action, varnish and lacquer."
This mainstock makes it possible to add regulators to a Daye half set, whereas Mr. Daye's own mainstock can't take them.
Source: http://www.daye1.com/pennychanter.html
Though in all my scouring of the interwebs, I've never heard of anybody actually adding regulators to a Daye set.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Gallagher practice set - US only.

David
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

myles

Post by myles »

First time I've ever seen blackwood go bendy.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've heard a few Benson & Cornelius chanters/sets and quite liked them.
myles wrote:First time I've ever seen blackwood go bendy.
I recall seeing a video clip somewhere online of someone straightening a Taylor chanter (ebony/blackwood?) with steam and a reamer.
PJ
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

PJ wrote:I've heard a few Benson & Cornelius chanters/sets and quite liked them.
myles wrote:First time I've ever seen blackwood go bendy.
I recall seeing a video clip somewhere online of someone straightening a Taylor chanter (ebony/blackwood?) with steam and a reamer.
I really must get some new glasses - I first read that as 'straightening a Taylor chanter with a steam roller' ...
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Roberts half set in B - no bellows - free postage in the US, postage at cost outside the US.

David
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Keyed chanter by an unknown maker, described as blackwood (no reed included): Ebay link

Does anyone recognize this work?

The same seller also lists another unknown chanter which has the characteristics of "import" pieces stocked by a certain musical instrument store in the US...
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:Keyed chanter by an unknown maker, described as blackwood (no reed included): Ebay link

Does anyone recognize this work?
Looks like a "Widdicombe" chanter. Pakistani made, I believe. I've tried one. Here's what I wrote on FB when a similar question was raised there:

I came across one of these chanters a few months back. They appear well turned but the insides are rubbish. I tried a bunch of my D reeds. The reed seat is very large and needed a good few wraps of hemp to fit the reeds. I could get nothing tuneful from the chanter using my reeds (which work fine in my chanter). The lower hand notes were out of tune but did sound. Only the lower A on the upper hand produced any sound (B, Cnat, C# and D produced no sound). The throat was very large, but I didn't measure it. The reeds which came with the Widdicomb were just disasters. Either collapse and closed, or open along the sides. No bridles on the 2 or 3 reeds which came with the chanter. The tone holes were positioned differently (closer together) to those on my chanter. Like the reed seat, the bell was significantly larger than anything I've seen before. The bore seemed to be conical, just much larger than what I'm used to. My verdict would be, don't waste your time or money on these.
PJ
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

I thought that might be the case, though I noticed a couple minor cosmetic differences from the pictures that are online for that brand.
I'll pass on this one.