Freeman tweaked whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
V-Twin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I come here wanting to learn about the penny whistle. A couple of years ago I picked up a native American flute and have been taking lessons to learn to play it. I wanted to expand my wind instrument playing and saw a you tube video that piqued my interest. I placed an order for two Freeman tweaked whistles which I hope I can learn to play.

Freeman tweaked whistles

Post by V-Twin »

Hello all,

I just joined your forum. For the last 2 years I have been learning to play the native American flute and wanted to expand my experience. The penny whistle captured my attention after watching several YouTube videos. After some googling I ended up purchasing two Jerry Freeman tweaked whistles (Mellow Dog and Blackbird) in the key of D. They arrived yesterday, but there was no information included. I like to know if these flutes are tunable? I did not want to push or pull on the mouthpiece just in case this would cause damage. Thank you and I look forward to my time here as I learn to play.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Re: Freeman tweaked whistles

Post by JackJ »

Yes, both are tuneable by adjusting how much of the body is covered by the mouthpiece.
V-Twin
Tell us something.: I come here wanting to learn about the penny whistle. A couple of years ago I picked up a native American flute and have been taking lessons to learn to play it. I wanted to expand my wind instrument playing and saw a you tube video that piqued my interest. I placed an order for two Freeman tweaked whistles which I hope I can learn to play.

Post by V-Twin »

Thank you for your reply.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

You will notice that Jerry Freeman has pressed a brass ring onto the mouthpiece, to help prevent the 'collar' section from cracking, as you slide the mouthpiece up and down to get into tune.
I'm a fan of Jerry's whistles.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

When you see photos of whistleplayers back when everyone was played plastic-top Generations you'll often see tape or binding around the socket area, due to the tendency of the socket to develop cracks.

Jerry's solution is much more elegant!

I'm also a fan of Jerry's work. I have a Freeman Tweaked Generation Bb that's the finest Bb I've ever owned. He somehow fixes all the tuning issues those cheap whistles have. I've never played a Freeman that didn't have bang-on tuning.

Might I suggest, V-Twin, that you investigate Ronaldo Reyburn's whistles? I've played a number of his Low Whistles and beyond having perfect tuning they have a special unique tone that reminds me of the NAF, especially his wooden-head whistles.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
V-Twin

Post by V-Twin »

Thanks for the information. Being new to the whistle I have a lot to learn. Appreciate the sharing of information.