It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post subject: Re: Tweaks: The Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:28 am 

Here's the modified Generation B flat that I just finished yesterday.

It plays exactly how I want a whistle to play. It's right in tune from the "bottom D" to "high B" (in D-whistle terms).

The voicing is how I like it: full round low notes and extremely sweet easy high notes.

I started with two old Generation B flats I happened to have.

Both had the same tuning quirks:

1) in D-whistle terms, the E, G, A, B, and C were all in tune with each other, but the Bottom D and middle D were both quite flat.

To solve this I chopped the bottom around 2mm.

2) in D-whistle terms, the F# was a hair flat so I carved out that hole.

3) As is common with Generations, the whole 2nd octave was a bit flat. To solve this I chopped the head in two, right through the window, and glued the head back together. There's a period where the glue is only partly set and you can move the pieces of the head around to get the voicing exactly how you want it, by the alignment of the blade and the windway.

Photos:

Left is a stock Generation Bb tube, on the right is the one I chopped and carved.

Left is a stock Generation Bb head, on the right is the one I chopped.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am 

I just filled up the hole beneath the flue on my Dixon DX005
Did that with epoxy-glue. Put some masking tape to cover the flue and the cutting edge, and dripped the epoxy with a small needle into the hole.
Huge improvement.
I am a starting tin-whistler, and now it's easier to get the 2e octave.

Just wonder why Dixon doesn't fill up that hole at fabrication. If I should deliver one of my native american flutes that way, I'd be out of bussiness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:47 am 

pancelticpiper wrote:

It plays exactly how I want a whistle to play. It's right in tune from the "bottom D" to "high B" (in D-whistle terms).

The voicing is how I like it: full round low notes and extremely sweet easy high notes.

I started with two old Generation B flats I happened to have.

Both had the same tuning quirks:

1) in D-whistle terms, the E, G, A, B, and C were all in tune with each other, but the Bottom D and middle D were both quite flat.

To solve this I chopped the bottom around 2mm.

2) in D-whistle terms, the F# was a hair flat so I carved out that hole.

3) As is common with Generations, the whole 2nd octave was a bit flat. To solve this I chopped the head in two, right through the window, and glued the head back together. There's a period where the glue is only partly set and you can move the pieces of the head around to get the voicing exactly how you want it, by the alignment of the blade and the windway.

Thank you for posting that. I have to say that chopping the fipple in half looks like a recipe for trouble to me.

How do you control how much you are reducing the opening? Is it just the width of the kerf on whatever you used to cut it?

What are you using to glue it back together? A plastic solvent glue would soften the plastic and possibly mess up the windway. Super glue might not provide an airtight seal. Is that why it appears to be wrapped in some black material?

It seems to me, with no experience in this area, that you could accomplish the same thing the way Freeman and O'Briain do, by gluing a pieces of plastic to the top of the blade and extending it past the stock blade edge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:05 pm 

FrankFlute wrote:
Just wonder why Dixon doesn't fill up that hole at fabrication. If I should deliver one of my native american flutes that way, I'd be out of bussiness.

I might be wrong but I think it has something to do with the injection molding process.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:08 am 

"Big Whistles" store has their own "Shush" whistles that are tweaked Generations and Feadóg. You also have Galeòns Tweaked Feadóg Whistles. O'Briain Improved Whistles too. Don't know if they are mentioned before, but here they are.:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:48 am 

FrankFlute wrote:
I just filled up the hole beneath the flue on my Dixon DX005
Did that with epoxy-glue. Put some masking tape to cover the flue and the cutting edge, and dripped the epoxy with a small needle into the hole.
Huge improvement.
I am a starting tin-whistler, and now it's easier to get the 2e octave.

Thanks for the tip. You can also do this on an Oak Whistle. I wonder if there are more whistles you can do this with? It makes just an great improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:03 am 

Anyone knows if Chris Wall makes his own brass tubes for his SweetBrass Whistles? He makes an fantastic mouthpiece that sounds wonderful on his whistles. It's for sure one of my favorite. Don't know if it can be called a tweaked whistle?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:13 am 

Sedi wrote:
FrankFlute wrote:

I might be wrong but I think it has something to do with the injection molding process.

I've found in my tests that a slight concavity produces better "punch" or attack to the notes, but has the disadvantage of making the octave break a bit flatter. Jerry Freeman is shoving mesh in there or something, but I just undercut the airblade and restrict the bore of the body tube at the top a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:14 am 

thomasaasen wrote:
Anyone knows if Chris Wall makes his own brass tubes for his SweetBrass Whistles? He makes an fantastic mouthpiece that sounds wonderful on his whistles. It's for sure one of my favorite. Don't know if it can be called a tweaked whistle?

I do indeed make both the mouthpiece and tube right here in my shop. It's not a tweaked whistle at all, as it is totally produced by me, with the exception of I do not actually manufacture the brass tubing itself. But I do cut it to size and drill the holes myself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 am 

pancelticpiper wrote:

Relative to the original position, did you move the airstream vertically upward, or downward? i.e. more air passing over the blade or under it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 pm 

Chris Wall wrote:
thomasaasen wrote:

I do indeed make both the mouthpiece and tube right here in my shop. It's not a tweaked whistle at all, as it is totally produced by me, with the exception of I do not actually manufacture the brass tubing itself. But I do cut it to size and drill the holes myself.

Thanks Chris.
Your whistles are just amazing. I love everything about it. My hands goes directly to your whistle whenever I sit at my dest and want to play some. I'm so grateful that I got this SweetBrass Whistle in High D. I sure hope those who haven't tried it out and love playing whistles get the chance to play one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6