Skin rush under lower lip

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Marish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an Italian lady interested from always in the the irish music and flute in particular. I'm starting to learn playing this fantastic instrument and I'll need some advices for sure. Thx

Skin rush under lower lip

Post by Marish »

Hello all,
I'm playing my wooden flute from January and this is the first time that I have a skin rush under the lower lip.
Anyone experienced the same? Is the pH of my saliva?
Or the combination of saliva and wood? Really no idea.
Any advise to prevent this?
Many thanks to all!
Mara
Mr.Gumby

Re: Skin rush under lower lip

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A skin rash can point to you developing an allergy to the wood. Not uncommon but frustrating nonetheless. A lip plate, or for the time being, covering the point of contact with superglue may bring relief.
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Yes allergy to the wood is very likely. Lots of woods--tropical hardwoods in particular--are loaded with various chemical defenses to deter predators. Lots of these things are "sensitizers," meaning they get worse with prolonged contact. I used to do woodworking with Cocobolo--but it got to where the dust would make me really sick, like dizzy and feverish in addition to major sinus problems and streaming eyes.

Your best bet might be to seal it with something. Superglue could work: polyurethanes are probably easier to work with and more forgiving. For now maybe just put some tape on the flute where it touches your lip and see if it gets better
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

In my experience of strip of scotch tape or clear packing tape, placed below the hole, so
that the top of the tape is creasing the bottom of the hole, will do the job permanently (and of course it
can be replaced)
Marish
Tell us something.: I'm an Italian lady interested from always in the the irish music and flute in particular. I'm starting to learn playing this fantastic instrument and I'll need some advices for sure. Thx

Post by Marish »

Thanks so much! The scotch tape is the easiest solution! The good thing is that having this rash means that now I have a real relationship with my flute :P