transposing soprano to alto fingerings

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
piperjoe
antispam: No

Re: transposing soprano to alto fingerings

Post by piperjoe »

jeffrey armbruster wrote:Thanks again for all of your replies. sorry about the wording of my question. Just to be clear: I bought a book of Baroque pieces with written guitar part and a soprano recorder part. Since I play alto, I was wondering what would happen if I played the soprano part as written on my alto recorder. (primarily,would it clash with the guitar and would I run out of range...). As you see my music theory is essentially non existent. My thought was that I would need to 'transpose' notes played on an F alto to match what would be played on a C recorder.

In any case I'm going to copy one small piece for my guitar teacher to learn. The recorder part is in a narrow range that my alto can easily play. I'll re read this thread to grok if playing the notes as written for a soprano on my alto will work with a guitar part written to accompany a soprano recorder. (and now that I think about it my guitar teacher will know this.)

thanks all!

--Jeff
If you're doing a lot of this it might be worth your while to get a copy of the Finale software and use it to transpose the recorder part into the proper key.

Piper Joe
cboody

Post by cboody »

If you don’t care about the octave you can just play as written, jumping thing up an octave when the notes go too low.

If you want to reproduce the pitches that the soprano recorder would sound play everything up one octave. If what is notated is too high you will have to shift to the lower octave.

Reading things up an octave sounds difficult, but really is quite easy. You’ll find it a skill worth developing.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

cboody wrote:If you don’t care about the octave you can just play as written, jumping thing up an octave when the notes go too low.

If you want to reproduce the pitches that the soprano recorder would sound play everything up one octave. If what is notated is too high you will have to shift to the lower octave.

Reading things up an octave sounds difficult, but really is quite easy. You’ll find it a skill worth developing.
He'd still have to transpose - and not just by an octave - to play on an F alto when the music is written in C.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Five months ago...
Peter Duggan wrote:
jeffrey armbruster wrote:thanks again! Actually I just played through real quick some of the pieces in the book and they have a narrow range, so this may work with my alto/
What's the top note, Jeffrey? If the range is narrow, transposing the written part up the octave to sound at soprano pitch might work.
AuLoS303 wrote:You'll be playing in a different key, which might sound ok for some notes but others will clash.
No, it'll be the same key playing soprano part on alto using alto fingerings, but will sound an octave down unless transposed as I've just suggested above. It would be a different key playing soprano part on alto using soprano fingerings.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Yours is clearer, Peter. :)
jeffrey armbruster
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

So in the end I can play a soprano part as written on my alto recorder with a guitar playing its part as written and both of us will be in the same key. My only concern will be with having to play some low soprano notes up an octave on my F (c, d and e?).
OR, I could play everything on my alto up an octave and sound like the soprano recorder. But then I might run out of notes on the upper register.

Correctment?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Spot on, Jeffrey!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jeffrey armbruster
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

Woo-hoo! Now I can move on to twelve tone rows.