Where are your ‘car whistles’

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Where are your ‘car whistles’

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote:"whistling at a stop is up there with texting or putting on makeup"

and none of these are moving violations here.
Strictly speaking, that's the case here, too (excepting handheld mobile devices, where the law is clear). The quote within the quote above is simply my opinion which, I'll admit, is a firm one. As I mentioned earlier, MN law is vague on that issue, instead appealing - one assumes - to the driver's better judgment. In an accident, any legal ramifications of distracted driving would probably come after the fact; if there's no accident or other clear violation arising out of it, as far as I can tell it doesn't appear that such driving is grounds for enforcement action beyond, possibly, a discretionary warning at most. In that regard, the often tricky balance between personal freedoms and public safety remains intact. Opinion of course is divided, but the typical social response around here to distracted driving is one of firm disfavor. Practice, however, is probably another reality.

Such is the ubiquity of mobile devices and the futility of getting people to put them down, that the law here concerning driver use has just recently undergone a revision to allow for voice interchanges only, so long as operation is strictly hands-free; anything else remains subject to prosecution. It goes into effect in 2 months. We'll see how that goes.

I'm probably going to have to learn how to go hands-free, myself; my dear sister has this habit of calling me when she knows I'm on the road to family get-togethers, bless her heart. :really:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

probably better to just stay quiet and drive without distractions. :lol:

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2018/03 ... 520710885/

"However, tasks that do not require the driver to look away from the road -- such as talking on a hand-held or hands-free phone or to a passenger -- also had negative effects on driving performance."
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Stick the driver out front, & have the passengers inside, I say, that way there'll be less distractions! :twisted: :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pbff
Tell us something.: Whistle newbie - started learning in 2018.
Owner of just three whistles at the moment, a Clarke Sweetone D, a Clarke Special Edition '200' D and a Generation Bb, but I am sure there will soon be others to join them ;-)
Joined the forum for advice and tips on improving my playing.

Post by pbff »

I haven't got any 'car whistles' as such, mainly because I don't have a car :D

However, I rarely go out anywhere without a whistle; I've usually always got my Clarke Sweetone D (my first whistle that I ever had) in my shoulder bag or laptop bag.
I feel under-dressed if I have to leave the house without a whistle, it's like going out without your purse/mobile phone/lipstick, except worse.

I play it at work whenever I'm alone or if I'm out on rural walks.

The only time I play in a car is if I have been travelling with someone in their car and I am waiting for them, or waiting with them (if they like whistle music that is!)
e.g. in a car park, at the petrol station, in the car wash.

If I did have a car, I wouldn't want to play the whistle in the car unless I was parked up and off the road, because I do tend to get very wrapped up in whistling and fail to notice things going on around me.

I'm also learning to play the fiddle, which I'm loving, but I have to say the whistle has many advantages - it's not so easy to fit a fiddle in your shoulder bag! :D
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I’m sitting in a car right now. Taking a break from practicing the flute while my daughter takes a ballet class.

And i have a metronome going.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

pbff wrote:
I'm also learning to play the fiddle, which I'm loving, but I have to say the whistle has many advantages - it's not so easy to fit a fiddle in your shoulder bag! :D
Plus rosin melts in the heat, bows need re hairing, etc.

No instrument in the world can compare to the lowly tin whistle in terms of portability and durability and simplicity. Ok maybe the harmonica
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

pbff wrote: I feel under-dressed if I have to leave the house without a whistle, it's like going out without your purse/mobile phone/lipstick, except worse.
I know what you mean. I feel like Mel Gibson's character in Conspiracy Theory--where if he doesn't have a copy of Catcher in the Rye at hand, he gets the sweats and has to go buy one.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

pbff wrote:I'm also learning to play the fiddle, which I'm loving, but I have to say the whistle has many advantages - it's not so easy to fit a fiddle in your shoulder bag! :D
Used to be a fellow who made fiddles that did fit into a shoulder bag. Or a rather large pocket. I think they were called fiddlestix and was a nice pochette that fit into a two inch pvc tube.

Pretty clever set-up, too. The end peg was made from a tuning pipe (G I'm sure); in stead of standard pegs he used regular zither pins that you turned with a dime; up in one end of the pvc tube was a little bit of inner tube you could use in place of the clavicle pad. Can fit a 1/4 sized bow in there as well.

EDIT: Not "fiddlestix"! The instrument is called a Wiplstix! Still being made, too.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
pbff
Tell us something.: Whistle newbie - started learning in 2018.
Owner of just three whistles at the moment, a Clarke Sweetone D, a Clarke Special Edition '200' D and a Generation Bb, but I am sure there will soon be others to join them ;-)
Joined the forum for advice and tips on improving my playing.

Post by pbff »

Wanderer - yes exactly like that! Except it would possibly be easier to get hold of a copy of Catcher in the Rye in one of the local charity shops than it would be to find a whistle for sale in the area :D

whistlecollector - I stand corrected about being unable to fit fiddles in shoulder bags :D Just checked out the link - wow! :shock:
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Wanderer wrote: I know what you mean. I feel like Mel Gibson's character in Conspiracy Theory--where if he doesn't have a copy of Catcher in the Rye at hand, he gets the sweats and has to go buy one.
Did someone say "Mel Gibson"? Who can spot the whistle?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sedi wrote:Did someone say "Mel Gibson"? Who can spot the whistle?
Photoshop, was it? Nice Gen redtop.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

It's not photoshop. There is a better picture online somewhere, which I couldn't find. I also checked the movie. It is real :D..
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Well the mad max still just proves that whistles in cars are the entering wedge of postapocalyptic dystopia
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sedi wrote:It's not photoshop. There is a better picture online somewhere, which I couldn't find. I also checked the movie. It is real :D..
Well, in that case ... er ... wow!!! :boggle:
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I took a pic with my phone - I also noticed that the pic above is mirrored as the whistle is behind the steering wheel which should be on the right side of course.
c) Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.