FS: Extremely Rare E-Flat Sindt Whistle - Excellent

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cairdin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in "pure drop" Irish traditional music, and play a bit of soprano D whistle.

FS: Extremely Rare E-Flat Sindt Whistle - Excellent

Post by cairdin »

listed on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/264327912866

Extremely rare Sindt soprano whistle in key of E-Flat. Maker John Sindt, brass, extremely rare in this key, approximately 11.0" in length, played only a handful of times. Especially perfect for playing in a "sharp" session (i.e. fiddles tuned up a half step, Eb flutes, C/C# accordions, etc.). A versatile option when accompanying singers or in other instrumental situations, as it opens the option of playing comfortably in additional keys without a lot of cross fingering. I am the original and only owner; instrument purchased in 2001. Excellent condition overall, no kids, with only the tiniest of superficial scratches commensurate with its vintage --- played only a tiny handful of times. I have never seen another of these in this key, so this is likely to be a unique opportunity for someone to own a special instrument indeed. Please note in the photos (on eBay) the engraved "Eb" and initials "JS". Thinning the herd.
Adrian W.

Re: FS: Extremely Rare E-Flat Sindt Whistle - Excellent

Post by Adrian W. »

With respect, I don't think they are extremely rare... it was a standard offering when I ordered my Bb and A from John, and in fact I had an Eb on the order too but cancelled that one. I've seen a few for sale. Not as common as D for sure, but they are out there.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hmmm. I own an E Sindt, which sees use in our band. I wonder how rare it is, on the rare scale...
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

It’s really not ‘extremely rare’. It is what it is, a very nice Eb whistle from a well-known and very popular maker.
Mark
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Yes, hardly rare...someone should buy it and put a Feadog, or similar D tube on it...then they would have a D/Eb set.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

No, it is not that rare, maybe rare, because they are quality instruments and people hang onto them.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

My Eb Sindt came with a silver tone tube. I wanted to find out if silver sounded different than brass. I fit a brass Generation Eb tone tube to the Sindt. Also added a 1/2'' sleeve to a Generation F tone tube. And have several brass D tone tubes that fit.
As mentioned it is challenging to take a pic of engraving on a round tube.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

If it is 18 years old, it should have the flat windway in the mouthpiece instead of the current curved ones...I guess that would make it slightly rare....good opportunity for someone to try out the old style head if curious.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Yes indeed. How about it cairdin? Which style of these two windways does it have?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106687&p=1216783&hi ... r#p1202752

Anybody else for that matter? The only flat ones I've heard of so far are those owned by whistle1000 and myself, so more than slightly rare I guess. I was just comparing these again last night. Yes the flat one is louder, especially in the low range, has a purer tone, and takes more breath control, at least with the two I've got. Both are excellent. An interesting toss up.

I wonder if John Sindt once did all of them this way or just some, and how long ago. I hope he's doing well, he deserves more than he sold them for.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

For that matter I wanted to ask the same of this person, but they didn't announce their posting to our merry throng. Evidently the "extremely rare" attempt didn't work out so well for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare ... _cvip=true
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Listing for the D no longer there; link to 'extremely rare Bb' https://www.ebay.com/itm/362660468001?V ... 2660468001
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Elspeth
Tell us something.: I have been playing ITM on the whistle for many years and enjoy it immensely. I’d like to be part of the whistle community.

Post by Elspeth »

I had a Sindt Eb that I bought around 20 years ago, and while John had a waiting list even back then, the Eb was easily obtainable for around 75 dollars (a lot of money for me at the time). I loved it but unfortunately I somehow lost it - can't believe I was that stupid not to take better care ....
“Amuse Often, Provoke Sometimes, Entertain Always”
cairdin
Tell us something.: I'm interested in "pure drop" Irish traditional music, and play a bit of soprano D whistle.

Re: FS: Extremely Rare E-Flat Sindt Whistle - Excellent SOLD

Post by cairdin »

SOLD
cairdin

Post by cairdin »

SOLD