What does one use an F flute for?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

What does one use an F flute for?

Post by jim stone »

What use are these for those of us who tend to play ITM?
I reckon busking is one, but I wonder about others.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: What does one use an F flute for?

Post by Steve Bliven »

* Flute band music
* Practice instrument for playing while the dog wanders in the back yard
* To annoy pipers
* Because they are lively and fun
* You know someone with an F whistle

Best wishes

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Conical bore
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Conical bore »

Playing all those neat Lúnasa tunes they play on low F whistle in the same key?

I had a Reviol low F whistle for a while. Eventually sold it, because nice as it was, I was more interested in learning tunes I could play with others. And that led to learning flute instead of faffing around with low whistles. If you only play tunes for yourself, it's in a nice range for some things, and no doubt helps with embouchure development.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

paddler

Post by paddler »

I use mine for learning tunes that I have heard played on F flutes and whistles on various CDs of Irish
and Breton players. The responsiveness and agility of an F flute makes it really fun to play such tunes.

Here is a clip that illustrates some of the capabilities of a F flute in the hands of a really good player.
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

In addition to the above:
For accompanying songs in C or F (or whatever relative keys)
For playing tunes with that one friend with an F harmonica
It's a nice alternative to a C flute for C or F tunes (as evidenced by the Seán + Jesse clip posted above)
will marshall

Post by will marshall »

I don't like to bottle out of using the keys on a D flute, but G minor can be a bit of a struggle at speed. On an F flute, however - hey presto, say goodbye to G minor misery!
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

The narrower bore versions are used by the musicians in Galicia and are called "Requintas". These were originally based on French flutes left behind by Napoleon's armies, and adopted for Galician music in the early 1900s in an attempt to modernize the sound and diversify the repertoire. The range of pitches for these actually stretches between F and G. These play almost the same music as the Gaita bagpipes - usually an octave above them. Here is one of Galicia's best examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrTCd03XH1o&t=366s

I play this style and occasionally make Requintas. These with a pipe band below me are actually my favorite flute to play!

Casey
Last edited by Casey Burns on Fri May 17, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Gallegos, please Casey.

:thumbsup:
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I find it useful for playing along to quite a lot of the music popular here - stuff from old German manuscripts, Swedish stuff, north European folk, French stuff. Often notated and played in F or BFlat, so I can either use the keys or take the keyless in F, Both options are possible but lead to a very different result. And there is an elegance to playing on a keyless that is rather nice. Note, once learned on any keyless instrument, the tune can be played in any of the other keys using the whistle technique of swapping instrument. This alone is very useful when singers or guitar players liek to shift key for their own comfort. (As mentioned G Minor is rather popular in some circles, e.g. some varieties of pipes play naturally in G minor.) For this I have flutes in low A, D, EFlat, F and g and whistles in C, A and G (amongst others).

The flute itself is fun for playing alone, busking or in a pre-arranged band context.

And I have one for sale... ;-) African Blackwood, Sweetheart, in Europe, €250. Contact me for more info.
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Post by mendipman »

I play tunes on mine.

More enjoyable than unblocking a sink with it.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

RudallRose wrote:Gallegos, please Casey.

???

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

You use it for Boss. (bleep). Tunes.

In fact I think it's actually illegal to use a D flute to play Dermott Grogan's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfqirEriI4k

Only bangin' tunes are played on the F flute (or three-quarter flute, as it's often called).

Seriously though, the way I heard it was that they made their way down from the flute (marching) bands Northern Ireland into areas like North Connaught, where they were taken up by traditional musicians. Being a poorer area historically, maybe only a few people per village could own/play an instrument, and so the fact that it was in the key of F didn't really matter. It's also more comfortable for the fingers, cuts through noise better since it's higher pitched, and requires less air. Certainly if I were the one fellow tapped to play for a kitchen full of dancers, I'd reach for my F.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

plunk111 wrote:
RudallRose wrote:Gallegos, please Casey.

???

Pat
We prefer to be called Gallegos, not Galicians.
Galicia is where we are from; Gallego is what we are called.

EzMan
Tell us something.: Thank you for hosting an awesome place.. Been gleaning info for many years but now i need to speak.
I play silver and timber flute whistles and bass trombone

Post by EzMan »

I imagine it would be nice for playing many Dm tunes also.
Been thinking about adding one to the quiver
EZ