Unknown "Highlands" - names, please ?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Unknown "Highlands" - names, please ?

Post by kenny »

A couple of tunes from a Willie Clancy week session 2 years ago. Sound very much like Donegal Highlands to me. Anyone know them ?

https://youtu.be/7fZ2ohHSpV0

Thanks for any replies.
Kenny
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Unknown "Highlands" - names, please ?

Post by benhall.1 »

The first one is John Joe Gannon's, normally played in D, but here transposed down to C. I'm struggling to hear the second one ...
kenny

Post by kenny »

Thanks for that Ben - what source for that name, please ? Sorry about the poor recording quality.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Second one is Streamstown, also normally played in D, but transposed down to C.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I know the first one from the Carberry/McGovern recording. The other one, hmm, I hear a breathy low concertina in my mind so Cormac B probably.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kenny wrote:Thanks for that Ben - what source for that name, please ? Sorry about the poor recording quality.
Er ... don't rightly know ... is it on the session.org?
kenny

Post by kenny »

I think the whole session was pitched in "C". Cormac B. was too old for that session ! I don't have the Carberry / McGovern recording, but wonder if it's the 2 tunes recorded on that CD, but reversed in order.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I checked them just now, the second one is on Cormac Begley's solo recording, the first one is part of the set on the Carberry/MvGovern but not the other one. I have uploaded the tracks to the box and sent you the links.
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

Many thanks Mr. Gumby - much appreciated, as always. I obviously need to go back and listen to Cormac Begley's CD again. Thanks to Ben , as well.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're welcome. I am not so sure I would have been able to piece together where the tunes I heard in my head came from, if Ben hadn't come up with the names to give things some direction to my thinking. It would have taken a lot longer at least.
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

"Tom Moran's" OK for the first one, for which thanks. Bit of a problem with the name of the second, though. Cormac Begley has it as "The Streamstown Jig", but it's obviously not a jig. On "Seoda Ceoil 1 & 2" in "iTunes", JJ Gannon has "Tom Morans' followed by "The Streamstown Jig". Again, that tune is not a jig. Track #24 has "James Gannon's Jig" [ followed by "The Castlebar Races" ]. Now that first jig is the jig Cathal McConnell recorded as "The Streamstown Jig" with "Boys Of The Lough" must be nearly 40 years ago. I think the sleeve notes - not for the first time by any means - have got screwed up, and that we are still looking for a name for the second tune.
I bought the JJ Gannon "Tom Moran's" track - these are the same 2 tunes played in the Miltown session.
It should be noted that these are not "highlands", as I thought, but schottisches. And it's great that young musicians are including them in sessions, rather than wall-to-wall reels and jigs.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I've known that second tune as The Streamstown. I think it's right.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Here's a link to the tune of that name listed on the session.org, which is clearly the same tune.

https://thesession.org/tunes/16308

Also, note that it is the same tune, by that name, played by Cormac Begley in Mr G's referenced recording.

The Streamstown. The session.org calls it a Schottische. I have my doubts about that, but it's the same tune right enough.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Aye, but these all come from the same source, which I think was wrong in the first place.
kenny

Post by kenny »

What do the "Seoda Ceoil" sleeve notes have to say about the first jig played before "The Castlebar Races", and the "Tom Moran's" track - both by J.J. Gannon ?