Camping for Catskills

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MKE_Chris
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Camping for Catskills

Post by MKE_Chris »

For the first time since I've heard of the Catskills week, I'm going to be free for that whole week. Unfortunately, I just found that out recently, and it seems my options for affordable lodging are limited. Has anyone tried tent camping? There are the "Official" sites for $25 a month, or some other privately owned tent sites nearby for a little more, but seemingly with better amenities. I'm certainly not opposed to "roughing it", but if the experience is unilaterally terrible I might keep looking or expand my budget...
highland-piper

Re: Camping for Catskills

Post by highland-piper »

I'm not certain what the Catskills week is, but here are some observations from my own experiences.

I've gone to a week long workshop where I camped a few miles away. It would have been more fun if I were at the site. I like to have a drink or two and stay up late with others, and being at a distant location gets in the way of that.

Regarding camping in general, it's the kind of thing that most people either really like or really dislike. If you're not sure which kind you are then you should probably figure that out first ;-)

$25 a month is really low for a campsite. Is that a back-country type of site?
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I'm going this year, but I have a hotel.

I have a friend who's been going for years, and he takes an RV and camps. I suppose he enjoys it, or he wouldn't be doing it. i haven't heard him describe the situation badly. Then again, he's not in a tent.
highland-piper wrote:I'm not certain what the Catskills week is
https://www.catskillsirishartsweek.com/

Week-long Irish arts festival in NY with workshops and stuff. Mary Bergin and Joanie Madden are giving classes this year.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Recommend camping at one of the closer sites with amenities and other participants if possible. The late night sessions are a major feature of the week and are not to be missed. One year I camped at a relatively local site (Pot 'O Gold campsite). It was OK, but I was riding back and forth on my bicycle and missed out on some of the later stuff. I believe that there used to be regular sessions at the Blackthorn Resort (where they have camping), but they had a fire a couple of years ago and I don't know if things have changed.

You will have a great time at CIAW. Lots of very talented musicians and more concerts and sessions than any one person could attend.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

highland-piper wrote:$25 a month is really low for a campsite.
It would be, but the price is actually $25 per night, which is much more realistic.
Gobae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Gobae »

I can't comment much on the camping situation in the area (I stayed at a nearby friend's house), but when I attended in 2013 I found the teachers EXCELLENT and the venues DEPLORABLE.

Most of the venues were originally built in the Catskill's vacation heyday back in the 1950-60's and have had only sporadic cleaning and upgrades. Many smelt of mildew, age, and stale cigarette smoke from back when smoking was acceptable everywhere. The organizers were not organized particularly well and a bit surly. Class locations were changed a couple of times on me and their response was "Didn't you talk to anyone at the (after hours) sessions? Everyone knew." Speaking of the after hours sessions, be prepared for standing room only in claustrophobic tiny bars.

Anyway, I wrote to them outlining what I experienced and never heard a peep back; not even a polite "thank you for your feedback". Hopefully things have changed in 6 years!
Gobae - The Blacksmith