Taylor set donated to NPU

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Taylor set donated to NPU

Post by Steampacket »

Nice of Matt Molloy to donate or make a long term loan of the Nicholas Burke Taylor set to NPU in February. The pipes are on show in the library complete with two chanters, one made of ivory, two drones and five regulators, and presumably the original Taylor reeds and the original leather pipe case. They look magnificent and very heavy. Has anyone been to see them yet?

They are on the cover of the latest An píobaire, May 2019. The set belonged after Burke to a relative of Matt's in Pittsburgh, John Mullen. An exciting set to measure and examine, especially the reeds
RenaissanceGuy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: Taylor set donated to NPU

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Is it viewable to the public?
I'll be in Dublin in October, but not an NPU member (yet).
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Steampacket wrote:Nice of Matt Molloy to donate or make a long term loan of the Nicholas Burke Taylor set to NPU in February. The pipes are on show in the library complete with two chanters, one made of ivory, two drones and five regulators, and presumably the original Taylor reeds and the original leather pipe case. They look magnificent and very heavy. Has anyone been to see them yet?

They are on the cover of the latest An píobaire, May 2019. The set belonged after Burke to a relative of Matt's in Pittsburgh, John Mullen. An exciting set to measure and examine, especially the reeds

I saw them tonight, out of the display case. Astonishing, really. A combination of massive and somehow elegant. They aren't in shape to play yet, apparently. I think Emmett said there were 17 reeds involved?

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Good photos there PB+J. The pipes look to be so well made, the details on the regulator tuning pins for example, and the regulator keys so well finished. Were you allowed to touch the pipes or lift them? Did you see the leather pipe case?
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Looks to be a two-drone set, with an outboard...tenor? And the key above the tenor reg C key must be for an E reg. Yes?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Looks to be a two-drone set, with an outboard...tenor?
It's hard to tell, in none of the photographs (including the ones in the Piobaire) you can see any drones clearly, apart from the bass (unless there's something feeding off that bass and it looks there may be). And who knows what is hidden under that forest of regs. I dread to even guess at the weight of the thing.

My brain hurts

RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

The Burke set has two drones and five regs.

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It looks to be in great condition. The black chanter looks longer than the ivory: C#?

I think Nick Whitmer's O'Donnell/Taylor set has 6 single bore regs. I've only seen it in photos. (edited to add the hyerlink)
PJ
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

The beautiful colour of that ivory chanter makes me think an all boxwood w/ boxwood mounts Taylor chanter would look class.
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

Nicholas there reminds me of Howard, from Last of the Summer Wine...Robert Fyfe? (the Great Google says).
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Trying to get updated regarding Taylor sets. Maybe you know Rick? Is Jim McGuire of Chicago still piping?. Did Jim acquire the Gene Frain Taylor set? Who bought the Felix Gallagher Taylor set, found in Leeds, when Jim put it up for sale in 2002?
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Hi Thomas. Check your PMs

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru