A few shots of the Chief

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

A few shots of the Chief

Post by PB+J »

Here he is as monumentalized in Tralibane

In this one he looks to me like he's just taken the flute from his mouth to threaten someone with arrest

And the National Library in Dublin

I found some interesting and useful things there on O'Neill.
Alberta
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the forum, because I have four C whistles to sell. Three were made by Glen Schultz.

Re: A few shots of the Chief

Post by Alberta »

Question on National Library in Dublin - referenced as a source for O'Neill. I'll be going to Dublin in August and wasn't aware there were music resources available. Is it necessary to request the books ahead of time, or were they able to pull them while you were there? I'm not an Irish citizen, if that would make a difference. Thanks, Alberta
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Alberta wrote:Question on National Library in Dublin - referenced as a source for O'Neill. I'll be going to Dublin in August and wasn't aware there were music resources available. Is it necessary to request the books ahead of time, or were they able to pull them while you were there? I'm not an Irish citizen, if that would make a difference. Thanks, Alberta

When you arrive you ned to get a "readers ticket," and ID card. this takes just a few minutes. The office that hands out the cards as I recall does not open till 10:30 am

Once you have the card you can request materials. The request form is online an it typically takes about an hour. You request material, and it gives you a time to expect it, and then you go to the desk and claim it,

Archival materials, like letters and manuscripts, are in a different building on Kildare street, a very short distance away. Archival materials take 24 hours, so you request them today and they are at the desk tomorrow.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'll tack this onto this thread, as FYI of passing relevance:

https://www.chiefoneillfestivalbantry.com/
My brain hurts