How does ITM sound on wooden Boehm flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I find the sound of the silver flute too 'airy-fairy' for ITM. I know, of course,
that some fine ITM musicians use them, but I'm not a fine ITM musician.
I wondered if the situation can be remedied by playing a wooden Boehm?
These might sound like our simple system flutes and be easier to play?
I played an Abell wooden flute years ago and it sounded (to my ear then)
a lot closer to an Olwell than a Yamaha. What do folks think?
Conical bore
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How does ITM sound on wooden Boehm flutes?

Post by Conical bore »

I've never played a wooden Boehm flute, just a very short time on conventional silver flute many years ago, so take this with a grain of salt. Looking forward to other replies.

I know some players use wooden heads on metal Boehm flutes, and I assume that's for a tonal difference, a more "woody" or warmer tone? A full wooden version might have even more of that quality. Whether that gets you all the way to the idiomatic sound of ITM on 19th Century wooden flutes, is another question.

One difference is the degree of articulation possible on open finger holes, like the pipes. But there is also the question of getting a distinctive "hard" quality to the tone, especially with the low D. It's not quite the same as just sounding woodier, or warmer. The hardness or roughness in the tone may result from having to overcome a drawback of the 19th Century design, where you have to over-blow the low D into partial harmonics to raise the pitch. It transforms a drawback in the design (compared to the Boehm) into a distinctive "Irish" tone. The more smooth and pure tone of a Boehm flute works against that, although of course there are some players of ITM who do use Boehm flutes and sound fine to my ears.

As far as I'm concerned, learning to play the flute is difficult enough as it is, so anything that makes it easier to "sound Irish" is what i'm going for. That seems to be what most everyone else is using in this music: originals or copies of the wooden 19th Century conical bore flutes.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You may want to (re-)visit this recent thread and consider the players mentioned, some playing wooden instruments, some not. I would suggest the sound depends on who is doing the driving. I have often seen Paddy Donohue, with Vincent Griffin and others and never found him sounding airy fairy, as you put it.
My brain hurts

oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

I've played a few wooden boehm headjoints
thar were made in the last 10 years and
they sound and play like metal ones.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

You can get a silver flute to sound a lot like a wooden one. I made a recording on a silver flute and some people thought it was a wooden flute. Embouchure cut is different and you need a slightly different technique. I have also heard the opposite, a wooden flute that I would have thought was silver. A lot is the player...

Its also possible you have some leaky pads. That will kill your tone...
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to say that the Abell I played (belonged to a friend) sounded immediately like an exceptionally good wooden flute.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

90% depends on the player; 9% on the type of flute and cut of the embouchure. I'd say about 1% on the material. I've played all wooden Irish flutes, as well as a modern all metal Boehm, an antique German Boehm circa 1930 with a metal headjoint with plastic lip plate and all wooden body. My main flute now for ITM and all other musics is a metal Boehm body with a wooden headjoint. When I first started playing my current flute setup, it sounded 100% modern Boehm. 6 months later I now think it sounds very nearly Irish. What you hear and want to sound like, as well as your technique, e.g. how you blow and generate sound, are what's most important.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Will you please say why you are using a Boehm body? Most interested.
What are the advantages? Especially, is the flute more agile? Thanks.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

My right hand, particularly my right index finger, would go numb when playing my Irish flute. I switched to keep playing 6 months ago. The flute I play is all Boehm; the headjoint is made of blackwood by Rodger Young. Will post details of why I like it later.

You can hear me playing this flute on this thread, one time using the original silver headjoint, the other using the wood headjoint.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108172. I think I've improved since these recordings.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Simply listen to Paddy Carty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-Pygcqo8Q
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ro1INYLXQ

of course he was on a wooden Radcliffe System. The premise is the same, though Radcliffe is a better extension since it's based on the same scaling as the D flutes.
Akiba

Post by Akiba »

I would say that Paddy Carty's tone is not what we would consider today to be a "reedy Irish tone". His tone is the way flutes 100 years ago sounded: more mellow, designed for blending with other woodwinds and the orchestra, rather than cutting through the way modern Boehm flute do. My 1930's Moenig style flute has a similar quality. You can hear me play it on this track: https://app.box.com/s/0ax6oablwyjwn9q7qoaqcaxr8v6go0h0

It looks similar to this https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 1008118633
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

the original question:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

RudallRose wrote:Simply listen to Paddy Carty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-Pygcqo8Q
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ro1INYLXQ

of course he was on a wooden Radcliffe System. The premise is the same, though Radcliffe is a better extension since it's based on the same scaling as the D flutes.
And Billy Clifford.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

My friend Ryan Johnson in Minneapolis is a highly skilled player, and has stuck with his mom's old band flute as long as I've known him. The two of us (me on conical, wooden) sound nearly identical except for his low octave being a tad better tuned :P
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Re: Dave M. - LOL!