The History of Alba Whistles? (and other makers)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

The History of Alba Whistles? (and other makers)

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I was just curious if there were any interviews or videos about Stacey O' Gorman and her whistlemaking business. There's stuff here and there about most makers, but I don't see much information about her, or how she got started.

Actually, I do wonder if anyone has collected the history of the modern whistlemaking craft. I'd love to read more about the various makers, especially how they got into the business. Overton, Goldie, Hardy, Copeland, O'Gorman, Somerville, etc. It'd be nice if there was a whistle history site with a page for each of them, and many others.
Nathaniel James Dowell
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: The History of Alba Whistles? (and other makers)

Post by pancelticpiper »

That's a great question!

For sure there's not much on her site http://www.albawhistles.com/

Being as she's the only female whistle maker I've heard of, and she's in such an isolated place https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edderton there might well be an interesting backstory to Alba Whistles.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

She posted a lot on this board when Alba whistles were new. I don't remember her handle. Possibly Alba, Gorman, or something? There was a lot of info on here.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

chas wrote:She posted a lot on this board when Alba whistles were new. I don't remember her handle. Possibly Alba, Gorman, or something? There was a lot of info on here.
A bit of searching suggests that early posts were from "wizzy", now filed under Guest, followed by some posts under "CHIFF FIPPLE". I would say the posts I read offered more heat than light.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I've wondered the same thing about Ms. O'Gorman, especially since I'm now playing one of her whistles (alto F). There's an Alba Whistles FB page but it's pretty much just about the whistles, rather than the maker herself (https://www.facebook.com/whistlen/.

As for Colin Goldie, there's a bit of a bio on the Goldie website along with a nice video 'In the Workshop with Colin Goldie' https://www.colingoldie.de/about-me.html. And as you probably know, if you happen to talk with Colin on the phone when selecting a whistle, he's always open for conversation.

I'm wondering if the old C&F site (now archived, I believe) might have more in the way of bios and interviews.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Would you be interested in my story? It's kind of long, with a lot of serendipity and incredible coincidences.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

brewerpaul wrote:Would you be interested in my story? It's kind of long, with a lot of serendipity and incredible coincidences.
Sure!
Nathaniel James Dowell
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Well, I got curious so went back to look at the old site and found this collection of interviews: https://web.archive.org/web/20160317085 ... rviews.htm
Unfortunately, the interview with Colin has disappeared into the ether of 404-land.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

stiofan wrote:Well, I got curious so went back to look at the old site and found this collection of interviews: https://web.archive.org/web/20160317085 ... rviews.htm
Unfortunately, the interview with Colin has disappeared into the ether of 404-land.
Thank you stiofan for posting. The archive ought to be a sticky up top of forum.
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

brewerpaul wrote:Would you be interested in my story? It's kind of long, with a lot of serendipity and incredible coincidences.
Yes. Your story and your relationship with Glenn Schultz.
chas

Post by chas »

Tunborough wrote:
chas wrote:She posted a lot on this board when Alba whistles were new. I don't remember her handle. Possibly Alba, Gorman, or something? There was a lot of info on here.
A bit of searching suggests that early posts were from "wizzy", now filed under Guest, followed by some posts under "CHIFF FIPPLE". I would say the posts I read offered more heat than light.
Yeah, she did have a combative style.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

AngelicBeaver wrote:
Sure!
Well, I wrote something up, but it turned out to be pretty long,maybe too long to post here. Maybe too long for most people to be interested.It's nearly 2 pages single spaced. :boggle:
I can either post it, or if anyone wants to read it they can contact me by mail (paul@busmanwhistles.com) and I'll be glad to send the document.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!