Cinco de Mayo

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Cinco de Mayo

Post by benhall.1 »

This is how we celebrated last night. Home-made tortilla chips, and home-made dips. :D

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Cinco de Mayo

Post by PB+J »

I'm helpless before a bowl of homemade tortilla chips and salsas.

As to Margharitas, I'm of the school that says making them to sweet is a recipe for deep regret
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

PB+J wrote:I'm helpless before a bowl of homemade tortilla chips and salsas.

As to Margharitas, I'm of the school that says making them to sweet is a recipe for deep regret
I completely agree with you about the Margaritas (note the spelling - there is no 'h'). My recipe is 60ml Tequila, 30ml Combier Triple Sec (must be Combier - the other brands are too bland), 30ml lime juice, a squirt of agave syrup and three drops (not dashes - it's very precise, and must not be overdone) of Angostura Bitters. Shake as much as you can stand, with ice, then fine strain into chilled, salt-rimmed glasses.

I was particularly pleased about two things here - the salt rims were the best I've ever done; and what about that Mexican flag for the dips, eh? :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ben, you are an epicure. :thumbsup:

Although I question having a flame so close to your nuts. :wink:

But fill us in: I know guac when I see it, but what of the other two?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I didn't even think about it, but I made chicken fajitas (I know, Tex-Mex), served with homemade guacamole and hot sauce (FIL grew the chiles). I've never made a Mexican beer, although Dos Equis is a Maerzen-style, and I make a very good Maerzen. Last night was a Pilsner.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Ben, you are an epicure. :thumbsup:

Although I question having a flame so close to your nuts. :wink:

But fill us in: I know guac when I see it, but what of the other two?
Home-made guac, by way. Then sweet corn, creme fraiche, chives and home-made mayonnaise, warmed but not enough to cuddle, and a salsa, made with roasted sweet peppers, a small amount of raw onion, and home-made tomato ketchup. :D
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:I didn't even think about it, but I made chicken fajitas (I know, Tex-Mex), served with homemade guacamole and hot sauce (FIL grew the chiles). I've never made a Mexican beer, although Dos Equis is a Maerzen-style, and I make a very good Maerzen. Last night was a Pilsner.
Not bad. You gotta have Margaritas, though! Oh, and did anyone notice the agave in the background, which we grew from seed? :)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:I didn't even think about it, but I made chicken fajitas (I know, Tex-Mex), served with homemade guacamole and hot sauce (FIL grew the chiles). I've never made a Mexican beer, although Dos Equis is a Maerzen-style, and I make a very good Maerzen. Last night was a Pilsner.
Not bad. You gotta have Margaritas, though! Oh, and did anyone notice the agave in the background, which we grew from seed? :)
I don't even do any beers above about 8% now, and I'm not crazy about those. I didn't even like tequila when I was in college. Just not my thing. The occasional daiquiri or gin gimlet was the closest I got to margaritas.

Kudos on the homemade mayonnaise. I've made it a few times, and it's SOOOO much better than anything you can get in the grocery store, and pretty easy to make. I just don't use enough to use up a batch before I get nervous about what's growing in it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:Kudos on the homemade mayonnaise. I've made it a few times, and it's SOOOO much better than anything you can get in the grocery store, and pretty easy to make. I just don't use enough to use up a batch before I get nervous about what's growing in it.
I love making home-made mayonnaise. Sometimes I make some just for the fun of it. It's unbelievable, compared with the stuff that goes by the same name in a jar. That stuff just doesn't compare. And, once you've got the trick, mayonnaise is so easy to make. I reckon it takes quarter of an hour to make a large jar of mayonnaise. :)
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I made mayonnaise once, for the purpose of making deviled eggs. I did two different types-- one regular and one a sort of garlic aioli. Both quite good in the eggs; my former partner really liked deviled eggs and I seem to recall he had devoured almost half of the first batch before I even finished making the second...

No worries there about it going bad before eaten up!

No margaritas for me, though. I've never really liked them. What's a good alternative? (No me gusta cerveza, tampoco...)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Katharine wrote:No margaritas for me, though. I've never really liked them. What's a good alternative? (No me gusta cerveza, tampoco...)
I mean, I can understand about the beer, but margaritas! They're heavenly. I suppose, in thinking of an alternative, it would help to know what it is that you don't like about margaritas. (I reckon it's just that you haven't had mine. :) )

How about Aviation? Or, another classic, The Last Word? Neither of them terribly Mexican, though ...