Weak E's and A's

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Andro
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Weak E's and A's

Post by Andro »

I have noticed on several of my simple system flutes that the E's and the A's tend to be weaker and less clear than the other notes. I understand that the quality of the notes varies across the scale on this type of flute, and that they are not Boehm flutes with high uniformity of tone on each note. I wanted to ask if this is common, and do we live with it as part of the 'sound', or should I make an effort to somehow lift these notes, which seems very difficult to me.

I have also noticed that on the sunny days when my embouchure is working just right that the E's and A's are not too bad, but when it's not going right, those notes in particular seem to suffer. I don't think I have described this very well, but do other people notice this?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Weak E's and A's

Post by benhall.1 »

If you look at the tones holes that make the A and E - respectively the third tone hole down and the bottom one of the six - you will see that they are smaller than the others. This is so that the hole can be further up the tube to enable ordinary, human hands to reach them. However, because they're smaller, the notes produced by them are weaker and with poorer, less defined, tone. They're also quite often not quite in tune without a bit of lip work.

Someone will be along shortly with a more technical explanation ...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just keep playing. As your embouchure get stronger these
problems (which are widely noted) diminish. You certainly can
practice doing long tones on these notes. But it should work out
anyway. It may take a while. Patience is a great virtue in this
business.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

You don’t mention if your flutes are keyed or keyless... If they are keyed, you can strengthen them a little by “venting” - I.e. hitting the D#/Eb key at the same time. This is standard practice for Bohemia’s flutes. If you’re keyless, see the response above. Good luck!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

“Boehm” - darn auto-correct!!!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Liked it better with Auto-correct—"Bohemian Flutes", a whole new Forum.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

On my 19th Century Firth, Pond & Co flute, the low E is significantly richer and a bit louder, if I vent the Eb key. This is intrinsic to the design, i.e, it's intentional. This flute doesn't really have a "flat-foot" problem; it has a smallish embouchure hole and medium tone holes.

I haven't noticed a problem with my A note.

I agree that it takes more than a year or two to develop a good, strong tone in the low notes. Working on long-tone exercises for 15 minutes every day has made a huge improvement in my tone quality and consistency.
Last edited by tstermitz on Sun May 05, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

E is a miserable sounding note
on woodwinds across the board.
It adds character.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

oleorezinator wrote:E is a miserable sounding note
It adds character.
Very nearly a haiku. All you need is to substitute for the first line, "E is a sad note".

:)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A long time ago we had whistle-related haiku contests
on the board. The winner won a whistle. I won a whistle,
in fact. We should do that again, extending to flutes, etc.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

benhall.1 wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:E is a miserable sounding note
It adds character.
Very nearly a haiku. All you need is to substitute for the first line, "E is a sad note".

:)
Very true.....and remember.....
"D-Minor is the saddest of all keys."
Nigel Tufnel
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

It's worth noting that not only are the A and E holes (holes L3 and R3) smaller than all their colleagues, it is further from each of them to the next vent (hole R1 and the first open hole in the foot).

It was observations like this that caused Boehm to spit the dummy and go to his fully-keyed model where every hole is vented by an open key 1 semitone further down the flute. And all the keyholes of identical size, though Clinton subsequently saw (and/or perhaps heard?) the weakness in that plan and fixed it in his "graduated-hole" model. Clinton's solution was probably overkill, and we've settled on a compromise tiering of hole-sizes since.
crackedfluteplayer
Tell us something.: Watched the flute forum for years and feel I might like to contribute from time to time. I, like many others came to Irish Music and wooden flutes late in life but I am making up for lost time now.

Post by crackedfluteplayer »

I think a lot of us buy antique 8 keyed flutes because we want to use the bottom 2 keys. If these are positioned so that they can be reached easily, the E flat key is hard to keep down with the pinky. It seems easier on a Boehm flute.
I have been tempted on occasion to file an undercut in the R3 hole to tune it better but have been physically restrained by my wife. I may get up in the middle of the night to do it. I know that we are only custodians of these beautiful instruments and should avoid modifying them but on the other hand I hope to enjoy them myself for a couple more decades, I would certainly be happier with a flat D and an in tune E rather than the other way around.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I can testify that holding the right pinky down requires some practice and strengthening. Once you achieve that, it isn't that hard. I admit that had to rearrange my hold to play C&C# which meant that I had to press the Eb key out rather than down. I also had to rearrange my hold again when I started learning the Bb key. These things are all bothersome at first, but then you get more and more used to it.

My advice to a new flute player would be to learn with the proper hold for a keyed flute even if you are playing a keyless. My other advice would be to buy a keyless with a key for that one, impossible note (Eb). Of course, then you want an F-nat, and you are on the road to perdition.

I guess that different flutes have more or less of a problem with the E note. The E note on my Firth, Pond & Co, is really quite good; I find that holding down the Eb key helps a little with strength or quality on the E note, but is not necessary to improve the tuning.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

With practice, the E and A can get much stronger. However all that practice makes the other notes stronger as well. You will never crack a hard E as strong as your own hard D, or an A as strong as your own G. As observed above, evenness of notes is a virtue of the Boehm flute, quirkiness is that of the simple system flute. I am very happy with my As and Es though they are the weakest notes for me on my flute. But they are strong enough to be heard and it is a sign of a good flute tune, that this difference in weight of notes suits what is happening musically. And it is why the same tune played in the same key (i.e. different fingering) e.g. on a C or a D Flute sounds very different.