Hunter/Lawrence chanter design question.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Hunter/Lawrence chanter design question.

Post by ennischanter »

Does anyone know if the Hunter Flat chanters are an original design or atleast partially based off of an older design?

I've seen Jimmy O'Brien Moran playing a C#-ish set made by Egan in the mid 18th century, which is in the possession of Sam Lawrence, and had been restored by Peter Hunter at one point too, I Play a C# chanter by them of course, and I wondered if their C# design could have been atleast inspired by that old Egan, and maybe other sets too, unless they are an original design. That is what inspired me to ask this question.

Thanks
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Hunter/Lawrence chanter design question.

Post by NicoMoreno »

I'm pretty sure that chanter (that JOBM was playing with the Egan set) was made by Sam Lawrence.
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

I think Peter Hunter had the opportunity to measure a few old chanters, so I'd guess they are based on one of those.

The set played by Jimmy O'Brien Moran has a chanter made by Sam. There are a few originals of that era about still, e.g. the one in Westmeath that Larry Mealy owned at one point.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

oleorezinator wrote:Ask the man himself.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8351
Does he come on often, I just hope I didn't just miss him.

Otherwise sure I may shoot him a message.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

myles wrote:I think Peter Hunter had the opportunity to measure a few old chanters, so I'd guess they are based on one of those.

The set played by Jimmy O'Brien Moran has a chanter made by Sam. There are a few originals of that era about still, e.g. the one in Westmeath that Larry Mealy owned at one point.

I have heard sound samples of other C# chanters, I notice mine sounds quite similar to a Rogge C# chanter, which was of course based of Ennis's chanter measurements, someone thought my chanter also sounded like a Rogge C# as well. I wondered if it may have been inspired by an old Coyne design, but who knows since they are recordings though.

I guess I'll give Mr. Lawrence a buzz.

myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

The Hunter Pipes website says that the B, Bb and A (!) are "all based on Peter’s Coyne B". Doesn't say that for the C or C# but I would imagine there's a fair chance of some Coyne inspiration.
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

Hello! I do look on here from time to time, but can always be contacted on hunterlawrencepipes@gmail.com

PMs on here, I don't seem to be notified about.

The C# that Jimmy is playing at the moment, with the Egan set, is of my design, based on Peter's which he was a bit coy/forgetful about saying where it had originally come from. Not Coyne. Perhaps Michael Egan. It is the C chanter moved up a semitone anyway.

The one Jimmy has is pretty loud. Peter's had very small holes, I'm currently restoring Ronan Browne's rosewood C# which is way quieter than one of mine.

Who are you ennischanter if you don't mind me asking? I'm just after placing what chanter you have. My early ones were basically identical to Peter's later ones.
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Sam L wrote:Hello! I do look on here from time to time, but can always be contacted on hunterlawrencepipes@gmail.com

PMs on here, I don't seem to be notified about.

The C# that Jimmy is playing at the moment, with the Egan set, is of my design, based on Peter's which he was a bit coy/forgetful about saying where it had originally come from. Not Coyne. Perhaps Michael Egan. It is the C chanter moved up a semitone anyway.

The one Jimmy has is pretty loud. Peter's had very small holes, I'm currently restoring Ronan Browne's rosewood C# which is way quieter than one of mine.

Who are you ennischanter if you don't mind me asking? I'm just after placing what chanter you have. My early ones were basically identical to Peter's later ones.

I just want to say I greatly appreciate your answer! I have been wanting to know ever since I have gotten it, Egan huh? Very interesting! I personally always thought it sounded alot like Seamus Ennis's chanter from The Wandering Minstrel, maybe a hair brighter in tone.

And as for who I am, I am the person who owns that C# grenadilla chanter you had for sale back in 2013, I recall you saying it was made around 2009, :D It's still going strong, with the same reed it came with too !!!

P.S. I removed all the wax from the holes, and it is much more in tune and happier now, different climate :D

All the best now.

Sam L

Post by Sam L »

Ah, that chanter - the only AB chanter I've ever made. Doing another this summer though, for myself - again!

Very nice looker IIRC

I always thought they sound more Ennis than anything else.
" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench